Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What kind of deer was in "The Deer Hunter" (Robert DeNiro) >

What kind of deer was in "The Deer Hunter" (Robert DeNiro)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What kind of deer was in "The Deer Hunter" (Robert DeNiro)

Old 08-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What kind of deer was in "The Deer Hunter" (Robert DeNiro)

I just watched this movie, and in the hunting scenes, those weren't Whitetails, and they weren't Muleys or Elk, what was it?

It almost looked like aEuropeandeer, but the movie takes place in Pennsylvania when it's not about Viet Nam.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What kind of deer was in "The Deer Hunter" (Robert DeNiro)

I'm not certain but I think it was a Red Stag.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

The great Red Stag

Old 08-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Haha yeah.. I typical north american movie deer. lol
Old 08-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Banned

Yeah, it was a red stag. That movie is highly overrated.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are Red Stag indiginous to Pennsylvania? I doubt it.

Why the heck would they go expensive and get exotic deer instead of using some farm-raised Whitetail? That would at least allow them to be correct,lol.

Also, in the movie, the M16 is automatic, which doesn't make sense, maybe he was just pulling the trigger real fast.
Funny how it never explains how the two guys get captured in the first place,lol.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:28 PM

M16's are capable of automatic fire. They are select fire. Used to be semi and full auto. Now some are three round burst, if not all.

I have seen the movie, but it was sooo long ago I don't even remember most of it.

Paul
Old 08-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: younggun308

Are Red Stag indiginous to Pennsylvania? I doubt it.

Why the heck would they go expensive and get exotic deer instead of using some farm-raised Whitetail? That would at least allow them to be correct,lol.

Also, in the movie, the M16 is automatic, which doesn't make sense, maybe he was just pulling the trigger real fast.
Funny how it never explains how the two guys get captured in the first place,lol.

Because Hollywooddoesn't know what the crap their doing.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

M16's are capable of automatic fire. They are select fire. Used to be semi and full auto. Now some are three round burst, if not all.
As of 2000 (when I left the US army) a majority of the M16's were the M16A2 model which has the 3 round burst and semi-automatic mode. The older M16A1 model had full-auto and semi-auto mode. There were still a few around when I was getting out but they were being phasediout. I'm sure in the deer hunter they used the A1 model. They actually changed the full-auto mode to the3 round burst modebecause they found (in Vietnam) that the average soldier wasted loads of ammo in a fire-fight because they were terrified.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:21 AM
Fork Horn

Red stags aren't that exotic, they are raised just like the elk you are use to seeing, for their antlers and such.
I live in north central Iowa, and 5 years ago my buddy shot a smallRed Stag (European Elk), it had a tag in its ear and it was from a game farm in Canada,Ontario I believe. He shouldn't have shot it, not sure why or how he came about to shoot it, but he was scared, called the DNR to let them know, and turned out to be ok because it is not a native species, and not protected in the US. They just told him he better start paying attention to what he was doing next time!Those things are huge compared to a whitetail, had him raised up on the ole 4020 and his nose touched the ground!

Quick Reply: What kind of deer was in "The Deer Hunter" (Robert DeNiro)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.