Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Using Scents and making scrapes >

Using Scents and making scrapes

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Using Scents and making scrapes

Old 10-14-2003, 08:22 PM

Default Using Scents and making scrapes

just wondering as to how you fellow hunters would suggest using scents, i have doe urine, buck tarsal gland, and hot doe estrus. what weather conditions, parts of the woods i.e. thick woods,sparse woods, lots of ground cover, swamps, etc, and how would you go about creating a mock scrape,
Old 10-14-2003, 08:35 PM

Default RE: Using Scents and making scrapes

Well I' ve never had any luck at all with doe-in-heat urine. I' ve tried scent bombs, boot pads, mock scrapes, etc. and never found it to help my odds. This year I didn' t bother getting any doe urine, but did pick up some " tarsal supreme" to try out. I' m hoping I see some results, if not i am done with " attractant" scents.

From what i have read, doe urine won' t work well in mock scrapes. The tarsal/dominant buck urine scent is what you want to use. I' ll be making a few soon to see if I get any response. Just wish I had some game cams to set up over them!
Old 10-15-2003, 05:30 AM
Spike

My brother and I have had success with doe in heat at the right time, but it took a while to find out how to use it... We found that we weren' t using nearly enough! if you' re using a drag rag, we had to use almost a full bottle of urine (recharge often) to start to see bucks actually following it to our stands. We had tried it before and didn' t have much success until we started doing this.

This gets REALLY expensive so obviously I don' t use it unless I' m sure I' m onto a big one.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:56 AM

Last week i made two mock scrapes with Hawgs Limited Pre Rut and the BF gland i tied a tampon onto the overhanging branch and soaked it with the BF Gland which smells like vanilla [:' (]. I can' t wait too see this weekend how the stuff worked. I will def let you guys know
Old 10-15-2003, 06:50 AM

Never had much luck with scents but the scrapes seem to get the deer' s attention. I think it is the smell of fresh turned earth that gets their attention. One thing I have had work is the drag to my stand. I noticed that two different bucks hit my drag line about sixty or so yards from my stand and followed my trail away from me. Suckers probably went to my truck. If you think about it, the scent should get stronger in the direction the deer went. I began going to my tree, tying on the drag with doe in heat scent and walked 100 yards out. my thinking is that the scent was strongest at my stand where I applied it. Then as I dragged it away the scent got less. It worked. The buck came to me and never left. It hasn' t worked since though and I get all freaked out about disturbing the woods any more than I have to. I do try it every year though.

Greg
Old 10-15-2003, 06:54 AM

how big of a scrape, 1ftx1ft? smaller bigger, round,oval, in an open area, next to a small tree, use a stick to clear it or your boot?
Old 10-15-2003, 07:11 AM

I use a stick, can' t take a chance when I am asking them to use thier nose. I' ve watched deer make scrapes and it seems that sometimes they do it to relieve stress. They paw the earth four or five times and move on. They also spend some time making scrapes and these are what I try to imitate. There is always a branch above these scrapes that they wipe their face and antlers on. If I can, I make scrape near another scrape or under a licking branch. Big scrapes are less common around here so I make them about the size of a basketball, maybe a bit bigger. I don' t think size matters, been telling myself that for years, I think it is locatin and I think the scrape should be dressed up with buck type scents not doe scents. That is all I know, sometimes it works and sometimes is doesn' t. As long as it doesn' t scare anything, try it out.

Greg
Old 10-15-2003, 07:19 AM

Hard to fool a bucks nose, and even harder to fool a Big bucks nose, the only success I feel is to use a scent eliminator which works ok, stay down wind, best advice and use a drag rag with a product called code blue. Dont apply it until 100-200 yards from stand dont worry about putting it on right at the truck. Seems to get deer attention and they get a little curious, but not the fix all. People can say what they want but that big bucks nose is hard to fool, best advice dont let him know you are there. Using mock scrapes and things you are just walking around the woods more leaving your scent everywhere.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:26 AM

I have made a few mock scrapes and the one that seemed to work best is the one in which I urinated in. Made it with a stick that I carried out with me as it had my scent on it. I broke a few small limbs on the overhanging branch. When checking later, a buck had totally redone the scrape and almost trashed the overhanging limb. Guess he was mad. It seems that he was only visiting it at night as he was never around during daylight hours.

Russ