Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Making your own scrapes

Old 11-04-2007, 08:38 AM

Default Making your own scrapes

Ive found many rubs and light scrapes surrounding me but i really wanna bring one in close to the best shooting lanes.

Ive heard of some great success stories when people make their own srapes and deer investigate them.
Has anyone tried this tactic and when doing it, do you wanna throw ne scents down on it and what do u wanna scrape with?

Thank you for your input.
Good Luck all this fall.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Making your own scrapes

I usually place one close to where I like to still hunt. I make it small and p in it and then let nature do it's thing. It works. The one I placed a few days ago is 3 times the original size already.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will be making one next week as I haven't had much time to get out there. I did manage to get out yesterday and found the entire length of a skidder trail rutted up. They were all small ruts there, but the buck is a big one that has been traveling back and forth between 3 different groups of deer. I am hoping to catch up with him in this last group of ruts I found. I think this is closer to where he is bedding down but not sure. The other scrapes have been hugh though and farther apart so I am waiting for whenI can get to hunt there at least 2 days in a row. A couple of good scrapes in there with a little buck sent nearby should draw him out, I hope so anyways.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I made several mock scrapes in a bottom field and I pulled a drag line behind me up through the woods to the top Ridge Field where I made 3 more scraps so the Bucks will follow my trail right past my ladder stand.I also found 4 more real scrapes right behind my house so I pulled my drag line across them,refreshened the scrape with my spray bottle of Buck Urine and circled the Ridge Field to my other mock scrapes....!The next day I did it all over again and I dragged another line with Doe in Estrous scent,I had 3 Deer following my trail line as I watched from my ladder stand in the very back of the Ridge Field.....it ended up getting too dark to shootand Ileft so I wouldn't scare anything away!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:19 AM

does anybody know of any websites that give you good directions to make mock scrapes>?? I made one like 2 weeks ago and nothing happened there....I want to try it again somewhere else...thanks
Old 11-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I think location is pretty important. Put them down in an area where they have appeared for real previous years. I like a slight rise above the surrounding terrain and have it along a path or grown up logging road helps. Don't forget to locate it under a licking branch. If there are bucks in the area they will find it. Dragging a scent line is always a good way to add to the effect like GTO said. They usually appear in predictable places.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

i made one last monday...i had to urinate in the worst way...had a branch hanging over an old logging road on the ride i was about to watch...figured what the heck...used a stick to scrape away the leaves and let er rip....seen 2 deer from stand...buddy borrowed my calls and they were a little too far and wind was in my face..no theirs..never noticed the scrape...

drank all the water i had on stand to freshen it up before i left lol...will check on it wed. with the leave fall, i will know if it is active or not..if it is, i will freshen it and hunt it..if not i dont know if i will hunt there or not..might go farther down the ridge..or to another spot in the area..IF i get out wed...
Old 11-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I make them and they WORK!!! Get you some Tinks 69 or some Golden Estrus and pour 1/2 to a whole bottle in after you've roughed up the leaves/dirt. Use a stick to rough it up, go in scent free, & drip some on a licking branch above it. Works like a charm!