Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
what do you use your 22 revolvers for >

what do you use your 22 revolvers for

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what do you use your 22 revolvers for

Old 02-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

the steel frame heritage feels better in my hands and has more weight and for not much more around $250-290 depending on barrel length and grip choice.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
That loading/unloading is the result of those politicians up North that you don't pay attention too

Here in MN if you have a carry permit you don't have to unload it.

I refer to my single six as my "couch gun" it's sitting next to me right now ready to be used should I need it.

I picked it up in March of 2011 for that expressed reason after the first time "I saw" the wolves come in after my dogs and the only gun that wasn't in the safe was my .380 carry gun... I burned up about $12.00 of expensive SD ammo on that one. If 6 shots from the Ruger ain't enough I've got another 19 ready with the .380.

If you can find a single six for $100.00 these days ya better buy it. Mine books for $300+
I left it unloaded on my own account most of the time.

We trapped the Mississippi river with drown sets so most of the time we didn't even need a gun and you couldn't really holster carry it under the conditions. Waders, in the water,lots of ice. Just pretty nasty conditions. It stayed in the boat most of the time but then when I needed it the little flip out was a pain. Not the end of the world though. It got the job done and we were glad to have it.

As for the price. You bet if I find them for $100 I'd buy as many as they would let me. I haven't seen one for $300 or less in a long while. I paid $100 for mine but that was a different time. Looking back I wasn't even actually old enough to carry a handgun at the time.

Last edited by rockport; 02-09-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

About the cheapest single six in my area is running $400.00.

http://shop.williamsgunsight.com/products.aspx

Al
Old 02-10-2014, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a little stainless Rossi that is a copy of the S&W Kit gun. It is .22LR with a 4" barrel. It was cheap back about 1990 when it was new, about $135, if I remember right. Those are nice little guns, you hardly know that you are carrying it. They made the S&W in 22mag. also, that would be nice. I use it to plink and to carry, sometimes in a jacket pocket(on a farm, not in town). Sometimes a .357 is just too big.

I have a stainless Mark 11 target too. I don't shoot it much anymore, but I used to target practice with it. The smaller 4" Ruger auto would be a great gun, but I have never owned one.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

in my opinion there is not a better gun for just carryin around on the farm then a .22 revolver.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll put my vote in for a semiauto over a revolver. I prefer the Single Six (or single 9, or single 10) over the Bearcat as well, if we ARE talking revolvers, but then again, I have really big hands (wedding ring is a 13) so the small grip frame on the Bearcat and I don't really get along.

A stainless Ruger Mark II .22lr semiauto was my go-to side arm for many years, always on my hip (KS is an open carry state).

Primary uses were coon hunting over hounds, trapline, finishing shot on big game (rarely ever needed). Plinked rabbits and squirrels, etc etc.

Most straight-forward thing I would say about a .22lr handgun is that if you HAVE one, you'll shoot one. You'll always find some use for it, even if it's just sneaking out back and shooting pop cans.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nomercy, you brought up something I hadn't thought of... In many areas these days .22LR's are hard to come by. That back yard plinking is on hold for me at this point in time. I've got plenty of .22 ammo on hand, and want to keep it that way. I know folks that are literally screaming for .22 ammo.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Spike

I use mine mostly for target shooting my wife can make a can dance with it
Old 02-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

lunkerdog, that shortage of ammo bit makes the revolver a little more attractive for me. Any time that I was shooting an auto, I always burned up more ammo then I did when I carried a revolver. It is so easy to shoot until the clip is empty. A revolver takes longer, maybe that is why. I think I took the time to aim a little better with the revolver too, knowing that another bullet was waiting. Not much handgun ammo in Missouri, and it is expensive. Wal-Mart sells out fast when they get in some .22 LR.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup Jenks, Walmart is more miss than hit in my area when it comes to .22LR... Did manage to pick up another 325 rounds a few weeks ago, would have bought more had they let me.

I also have .22 auto, and pump action rifles... Definitely burn threw more ammo with the auto.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.