Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
what do you use your 22 revolvers for >

what do you use your 22 revolvers for

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what do you use your 22 revolvers for

Old 02-09-2014, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I was always seeing coons while deer hunting. Being a bee keeper I have a bunch of trouble with them so I decided to start carrying a pistol out the deer blinds. One morning I fired the 357 in the little blind and had ringing ears the rest of the day. Decided right then I wanted a 22 for that job. Bought a single six last spring. Love that sucker with the 22mag cylinder in it. Puts the stop to a good sized coon easy.

I am finding 22 mag ammo easy enough but have a hard time getting any 22LR ammo.

Al
Old 02-09-2014, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I keep a Ruger 22/22Mag in one of my trucks and an old H&R 9 shot in my other truck. I've used them on small game like rabbits, general plinking, rattlesnakes and I've also used them to finish off a few deer after they were hit by cars driven by the idiot out of state skiers in my native CO. I've never understood why skiers never seem to be able to see deer until they are on the hood.

I also have a Ruger 22 semi auto that stays in the house.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
The only brands I know of are Ruger and Heritage. The Ruger is basically the rim fire version of a Blackhawk. I have a Blackhawk .45 colt now...exactly the same but bigger.

I'm not real sure what happened to mine either. It was kind of a beat around gun and I'm just not sure where it went.

You used to be able to pick up the ruger for $100 or so but not anymore.

The Heritage has cocobolo grips and its still pretty cheap I think.
Looked like a Blackhawk, so that was probably it, but it's been 25 years since I've seen it, lol. $100 sounds about right too.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

[QUOTE=rockport;4121433]The only brands I know of are Ruger and Heritage.
colt made a combo also taurus makes a new one,iver johnson had one
so did h&r.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may imitate, but you'll never duplicate a Ruger. The little Ruger Bearcat is by far one of the neatest, smoothest actioned revolvers out there. They have been referred to as a "mechanical jewel". True, factory issued ones do not come with adjustable sights, but I have heard of them being installed by a good gunsmith. Mostly used by the trapping crowd, but lots of small-handed folks love them as well. A really pretty little .22 revolver....
Old 02-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Mine disappeared. I loved it but didn't really care for it for trapping. The loading and unloading just wasn't good for trapping for me. Popping the clip in and out was simpler for me.
That loading/unloading is the result of those politicians up North that you don't pay attention too

Here in MN if you have a carry permit you don't have to unload it.

I refer to my single six as my "couch gun" it's sitting next to me right now ready to be used should I need it.

I picked it up in March of 2011 for that expressed reason after the first time "I saw" the wolves come in after my dogs and the only gun that wasn't in the safe was my .380 carry gun... I burned up about $12.00 of expensive SD ammo on that one. If 6 shots from the Ruger ain't enough I've got another 19 ready with the .380.

If you can find a single six for $100.00 these days ya better buy it. Mine books for $300+
Old 02-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

squrils and rabbits.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

hey guys thanks for all those replies. i like the 22 mag and really wanted one but just needed a reason to buy one. i was just thinking as a woods type gun to carry to finish deer or shoot coons in the hen house i think next time i get the cash i will pick one up probly the heritage just cause its cheap
Old 02-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

the cheapest I seen a used single six for is around $350 most they want around $400. with only 22 or cylinder.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.basspro.com?Heritage-Manufacturing-Rough-Rider-Revolver-w/Fixed-sights/product/10218190/

check out this pistol. in the link above

Last edited by buckman11; 02-09-2014 at 10:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.