Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any advice?

Old 09-29-2003, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any advice?

This year before season I am not nearly as excited as I was last year for opening day of bow. I think this might be because last season ended with a miss and a deer that I never found. This got me really down and I just figured I would get more excited once I end a good season. Well I got a nine point yesterday and it didn' t even give me a chance to get excited (popped out of nowhere). I was definately happy after I found the deer, but I am still not as excited as last year. I also think it might be that we lost our hunting spot/camp up north so no Im stuck with hunting near my house. Last year half the fun was going up to the trailer with my buddy and now we cant do that anymore. Has anybody ever had this happen? Do you think I might just be mentally holding myself back (dunno if that makes sense to any of you) or do you think it could be something else. Don' t get me wrong I still love hunting and being out in the woods and I get a rush at the snap of a twig, its just that I' m not as ancy anymore b4 the hunt. Please fell free to share any adice. Thanks-Sam
Old 09-29-2003, 06:49 PM

Default RE: Any advice?

TN15,

I can relate to your feelings and have also at times not been as exsited.

Just last years I missed out on a shot at a good deer that I knew was in the area and I was specificly hunting this one area for this deer.

In any case the deer detected me some how and I never saw it again. I was bummed every other day after that. I had put so much effort in to this one area and pretty much lost it.

I live over seas and it cost me litteraly thousands to hunt every year. I figure what happens is that we build our selves up so much and when let down we too are brought down, human nature?

So missing out on the deer really got to me. But, I had to realize that I have more than a thousand acers and a few more day left so I stoped focusing on having to leave and started making the most of the time I had.

There are alot of other deer on the land so I changed spots and was very happy at the end of my hunt.

Hope my input/expereince shed some light on this for you.

Remember, new places breing new memories....
Old 09-29-2003, 07:24 PM

I can relate also. Not all hunts bring the same enthusiasm and I can remember specific harvests that didn' t give me the shakes, while others do. A kill that isn' t as clean as you' d like, a deer that comes out of nowhere that doesn' t give you time to get psyched up before the shot- both examples can bring out feelings like what you' re describing.
Hang in there. If hunting' s in your blood, you' ll come back around.

Good luck
Old 09-30-2003, 08:00 AM

I have to agree with jred. Changing hunting spots definitely helps. Maybe you and your buddy can spend a few nights in another area and put up a small temporary shelter. That would make it like deer camp again(but maybe not as convenient!).

Exploring new stretches of woods and wondering if there' s a big buck lurking around the next corner do it for me. I like to scout first, but sometimes just entering an unexplored place gets you fired up.

Good Luck this season!

Mark
http://www.buckhuntersecrets.com