Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 A serious question about Quality Deer Management >

A serious question about Quality Deer Management

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A serious question about Quality Deer Management

Old 09-25-2003, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default A serious question about Quality Deer Management

I got the following information from an article about Arkansas' QDM program and it concerns me. Please read it and provide your opinions/answers to my question that I put below the info:

For decades, age was the most problematic factor in both this state and numerous others as well. Until the 3-point rule was passed in 1998, roughly three-fourths of the annual Arkansas buck kill was composed of 1 1/2-year-old deer. Whether you love or hate antler restrictions, one rock-solid reality underlies the mechanics of trophy production: If you kill a buck at 1 1/2, he' ll never be a trophy at 4 1/2! Today, thanks to the 3-point rule, the percentage of 1 1/2-year-olds in annual kill totals is the lowest seen in the Natural State' s recent history.

Here' s my concern/question: I' m worried that it is potentially DEVASTATING to our future trophy-producing ability here in AR to have a system that simultaneously drives hunters to harvest 1-1/2 year-old deer that already have 6 points while at the same time prohibiting the harvest of bucks that develop more slowly or, even worse, bucks that NEVER develop at least 6 points? Does this not remove the genetically superior bucks from herd SOONER while giving the genetically inferior bucks a " get out of jail free" card to breed for years and years?
SC in LR
Old 09-25-2003, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A serious question about Quality Deer Management

That' s what I was saying last year when Penna. first imposed ARs. Most of the bucks being killed are still yearlings, now they' re just killing the yearlings with the most potential. I guess they figure that a lot more bucks will survive into next year. How big will that spike or 4-pointer be next year? We hunt in big woods with very few hunters so the harvest doesn' t really change no matter what rules they pass. They can sell all the doe tags they want but there will only be about 5 does shot in a 2000 acre area in my area. I think there will be a difference seen on a lot of heavily hunted public lands but I don' t think we' ll see a change where I hunt.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 09-25-2003, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey SCRIDER1, I understand what you are saying, and I do agree with you. But, there is always a but, isn' t there. What you are talking about is the minority of deer really. The overall trophy potenial will increase drastically.

I' ve read some articles about a Penn. biologist who got the 4point restriction and it was largely fought to begin with, but it has already increased trophy' s, and some hunters want it implemented over a larger area of the state. Atleast that is what the article said anyway, I don' t hunt Penn.

I hope that someday Wisconsin will do the same thing for bucks since it' s my favortie state to hunt deer in. I have always felt that way to many young bucks are shot. My personal pet peeve is the guys all around my land will only shoot bucks since it' s " unmanly" to shot a doe, but they are always shooting little spikes and forks. Let those buggers grow a year of two, or three or four
Old 09-25-2003, 11:49 AM

Mississippi has also adopted the 4 point rule which I beleive has been in effect for 2 years now. Personaly, I have not noticed much change, but some of my friends say they have seen some larger racked bucks while scouting this fall. It may take a few years to really see a change.
Russ
Old 09-25-2003, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

MATURITY/AGE is the key to QDM or TBM, but judging maturity for most is a formitable task. Placing AR' s is some assurance that younger deer both good and bad genetics will survive. I believe the intent is to let the younger deer to not only get bigger but smarter. Also if more potential for larger (we can say Trophy) class deer is avaialable hunter may adopt their own standards and pass deer even if they fit into the legal bracket. I know here we have no AR' s and many are happy only when they harvest a buck, which does nothing for management. But in the same token others (myself included) have a much higher standard of mature/quality deer or deer that have pasted their potential and offer nothing to the herd. AR' s to me is a way to better educate the masses in the hunting world and a visual of how to better produce a stronger larger herd. Asking most to shoot a mature buck with no visual(AR rules to follow) could may prove to be impossible...however starting the thinking and then realizing the potential just might.

I agree your 100% accurate and correct top quality would be' s will be killed and dinks will survive based on genetics and the system. The payoff is some of those larger younger deer will survive, become educated and spread there good seeds. Larger matrure bucks have a bag of tricks and come by the nickname of " Elusive" honestly, while they would receive more pressure they are also better equiped to handle it to survive. Less pressure on the young and stupid for lack of a better term should increase the quality in a relative short period. It ain' t perfect but how would you handle the issue? One must start somewhere to get the word out that bucks need protecting of all ages, however the young are the most vunerable and offer the best assurance that something can be done to regulate the harvest and impacts on the entire herd.

A key element is as well doe harvesting. Any hunter that just harvest bucks due to the bone needs a class in wildlife management, our roles/responsibilty in population control & herd health importance. A one day session will turn even the hardest bone hunters into realizing how everybody needs to play a part and the payoffs are huge not only for animals but quality animals(Not to mention the oportunties that derive from practicing some sort of QDM or wildlife management). This included harvesting of does, passing young bucks and the ability to spot mature bucks and harvesting them approriately.

One thing to talk the talk but one must walk the walk to see results, it ain' t always pretty getting from AtoZ but it is worth the journey.

Education is the key, but like any form of education a starting point or comparsion must be used to set the wheels in motion. Again AR' s is not perfect but what is an alternative to get the average joe to realize, visualize and adhere to their responsiblity when they take to the field. Free for all hasn' t worked & protecting the does is the main reason we have all the problems now. Biologsit realize male and strength of the males has a direct impact on the herd. At the same time they also realize many hunter are in it for some meat and as luck would have does need reduction and control...there is your meat with sideline benifits that may prove to greatly improve the odds at harvest a trophy class animal no matter what that may be to you or the next guy, population control, healthy herd & more interest in the sport.

I may be off in left field but my feelings are education has been sorely lacking in this sport and the sense of responsibilty to protect the resource and health has only come to the forefront for most in the past number of years. We are lucky to cisit this board and chat with such a great number opf informed, responsible hunters...but just think how many we talk with, meet or even know are still a decade behind!!!!

Good Luck have a great season & I hope the AR' s prove to be the ticket(or at least a starting point) to educating sportsman of their resposibilties. If not we need to find another solution to ensure for generations to come that they will be able to hunt and experience all it has to offer.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Guys,
You' ve made me feel a bit better about some of my concerns. However, there is another concern about our antler restriction rule...I believe a lot of hunters still shoot first and count points later, which leaves a lot of immature bucks laying dead and un-checked in the woods. One of you asked how I might do it differently..how about this idea...What if every 4th year or so, ALL bucks were off limits? Would this not serve to pump more bucks into the system while at the same time helping to balance the buck/doe ratio? And wouldnt it also create a situation in which more genetically superior bucks survived to compete for breeding rights with the inferior ones? Does anyone know of a state that has done something like this? Or at least researched it?
Thanks, and here' s to a great season!
SC