HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A serious question about Quality Deer Management
Old 09-25-2003, 02:01 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A serious question about Quality Deer Management

MATURITY/AGE is the key to QDM or TBM, but judging maturity for most is a formitable task. Placing AR' s is some assurance that younger deer both good and bad genetics will survive. I believe the intent is to let the younger deer to not only get bigger but smarter. Also if more potential for larger (we can say Trophy) class deer is avaialable hunter may adopt their own standards and pass deer even if they fit into the legal bracket. I know here we have no AR' s and many are happy only when they harvest a buck, which does nothing for management. But in the same token others (myself included) have a much higher standard of mature/quality deer or deer that have pasted their potential and offer nothing to the herd. AR' s to me is a way to better educate the masses in the hunting world and a visual of how to better produce a stronger larger herd. Asking most to shoot a mature buck with no visual(AR rules to follow) could may prove to be impossible...however starting the thinking and then realizing the potential just might.

I agree your 100% accurate and correct top quality would be' s will be killed and dinks will survive based on genetics and the system. The payoff is some of those larger younger deer will survive, become educated and spread there good seeds. Larger matrure bucks have a bag of tricks and come by the nickname of " Elusive" honestly, while they would receive more pressure they are also better equiped to handle it to survive. Less pressure on the young and stupid for lack of a better term should increase the quality in a relative short period. It ain' t perfect but how would you handle the issue? One must start somewhere to get the word out that bucks need protecting of all ages, however the young are the most vunerable and offer the best assurance that something can be done to regulate the harvest and impacts on the entire herd.

A key element is as well doe harvesting. Any hunter that just harvest bucks due to the bone needs a class in wildlife management, our roles/responsibilty in population control & herd health importance. A one day session will turn even the hardest bone hunters into realizing how everybody needs to play a part and the payoffs are huge not only for animals but quality animals(Not to mention the oportunties that derive from practicing some sort of QDM or wildlife management). This included harvesting of does, passing young bucks and the ability to spot mature bucks and harvesting them approriately.

One thing to talk the talk but one must walk the walk to see results, it ain' t always pretty getting from AtoZ but it is worth the journey.

Education is the key, but like any form of education a starting point or comparsion must be used to set the wheels in motion. Again AR' s is not perfect but what is an alternative to get the average joe to realize, visualize and adhere to their responsiblity when they take to the field. Free for all hasn' t worked & protecting the does is the main reason we have all the problems now. Biologsit realize male and strength of the males has a direct impact on the herd. At the same time they also realize many hunter are in it for some meat and as luck would have does need reduction and control...there is your meat with sideline benifits that may prove to greatly improve the odds at harvest a trophy class animal no matter what that may be to you or the next guy, population control, healthy herd & more interest in the sport.

I may be off in left field but my feelings are education has been sorely lacking in this sport and the sense of responsibilty to protect the resource and health has only come to the forefront for most in the past number of years. We are lucky to cisit this board and chat with such a great number opf informed, responsible hunters...but just think how many we talk with, meet or even know are still a decade behind!!!!

Good Luck have a great season & I hope the AR' s prove to be the ticket(or at least a starting point) to educating sportsman of their resposibilties. If not we need to find another solution to ensure for generations to come that they will be able to hunt and experience all it has to offer.