Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Quality Deer Management (QDM)

Old 10-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Quality Deer Management (QDM)

On our property we have been trying to establish some sort of quality deer management. I was just wondering what the best way to go about speaking with conjoining landowners is? I mean, i don't want to go and sound like i'm shoving the QDM idea down their throats or anything, but I do want to convey the effectiveness of it to them. there are 4 conjoining landowners on our property and 3 of them already practice some sort of QDM, it is the 4th who usually shoots anything he sees (he is not a meat hunter mind you, I actually think most of the family may be vegetarian), I was just wondering if any of you have talked to other landowners about it in attempt to persuade them to do the same. Thanks for any help
Old 10-22-2007, 05:54 PM

Default RE: Quality Deer Management (QDM)

I have had the same situation. the best way to handle it is to ask all neighbors what they are harvesting and what they are letting walk. then if it comes down to one neighbor shooting everything, casually explain to them that all of the neighbors are practicing herd management, and having their property involve would be a great help. explain the benefits of qdm, and the fact that with more surrounding property using the same methods can greatly benefit the herd for everyone.between my family and our neighbors we now have over 1500 acres under strict management since 1999. the results are amazing! if it comes down to it, don't get aggrivated if one neighbor doesn't cooperate. it is his land and he does have the right to do with it what he pleases,as crappy as that may be.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

3 out of 4 contiguous landowners is a good start, but you need to remember that the other landowner owns their land and can legally hunt as they want to. Talking to them won't hurt, but if they say no then just try to remain friendly and maybe in the future they might change. Unless he is killing a lot of deer each year it probably won't matter that much anyway.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:56 AM
Dominant Buck

It's none of your business what your neighbor shoots if he isn't braking the law, it's his land and his call. If one of mine tried to do that to me he'd be less than politely run off.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

so kevin1, you're saying that even if someone came and politely suggested something to you, you would run them off? hmmm....not so sure i can understand you on this one[&:]
Old 10-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

check out qdma.com they also have a great magazine and lots of good info
Old 10-24-2007, 04:47 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

so kevin1, you're saying that even if someone came and politely suggested something to you, you would run them off? hmmm....not so sure i can understand you on this one[&:]
Just because you trophy hunt doesn't mean that your neighbor does, and I already have to contend with restrictions I sometimes don't agree with imposed by the state, so do what you want on your own land but don't try to tell me what to do on mine. I don't and never will consider pipe dreams like QDM a valid reason to interfere in how I live, so I would view such a request as impertinent at best.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:51 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

Just because you trophy hunt doesn't mean that your neighbor does, and I already have to contend with restrictions I sometimes don't agree with imposed by the state, so do what you want on your own land but don't try to tell me what to do on mine. I don't and never will consider pipe dreams like QDM a valid reason to interfere in how I live, so I would view such a request as impertinent at best.
wow, touchy subject eh? No one is telling you what to do when they ask what you are shooting or even when they explain to you the benefits of QDM.

QDM is a pipe dream? there is a ton of evidence to suggest otherwise. When landowners work together the results are pretty amazing.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you can get the neighbor on board, more power to you.

If not, then you simply have to try to mitigate the damage he can cause.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.qdma.com/
Try the QDMA website and on the left side of the screen open and read "What is QDM."
There are good resources and information there that has helped me a lot. Maybe buy your neighbors a membership in QDMA. When they read the magazine, it will expose them to some insights perhaps they've not thought about, maybe helping them to manage their property better.

Quick Reply: Quality Deer Management (QDM)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.