Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Rather than quality deer management >

Rather than quality deer management

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Rather than quality deer management

Old 11-21-2005, 09:21 AM

Default Rather than quality deer management

I'd like to see QUANTITY deer management. I could really care less about antlers or bagging a buck that scores a lot of B&C points. I just want venison in my freezer. I'd be just as happy to shoot a smallish doe (if it were legal) as I would a 200+ lb 14 point monster.

Does anyone else have a similar mentality, or am I alone in my meat hunting ways?

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no problem with people who are after a nice rack. I would just prefer a high chance of getting any deer to a slight chance of getting a trophy deer.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rather than quality deer management

The 2 things are not mutually exclusive. MANY areas have lots of deer,as well asgood numbers of big bucks. The biggeest factor in determining the quantity of deer is habitat. Lots of deer need lots of food. Not all places can support that.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:35 AM

We have plenty of carrying capacity left in Vermont. Of course the winters are probably a huge limiting factor.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:49 AM
jf5

ORIGINAL: VT_Hunter1980

I'd like to see QUANTITY deer management. I could really care less about antlers or bagging a buck that scores a lot of B&C points. I just want venison in my freezer. I'd be just as happy to shoot a smallish doe (if it were legal) as I would a 200+ lb 14 point monster.

Does anyone else have a similar mentality, or am I alone in my meat hunting ways?

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no problem with people who are after a nice rack. I would just prefer a high chance of getting any deer to a slight chance of getting a trophy deer.
I understand what you mean. And QTY vs Quality is a personal choice.

But I don't know any deer hunter just as happy to shoot a smal doe as they would a 14 point buck
Old 11-21-2005, 10:01 AM

ORIGINAL: jf5

But I don't know any deer hunter just as happy to shoot a smal doe as they would a 14 point buck
Actually, the best tasting venison I've ever had was from a very small doe taken during bow season. It was like free range veal.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:17 AM
jf5

ORIGINAL: jf5

Actually, the best tasting venison I've ever had was from a very small doe taken during bow season. It was like free range veal.
I agree 100% that a small doe eats better than an old buck any day. I have taken my share of "vealison". I still would rather shoot a big buck, or better yet, one each. LOL
Old 11-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Of course the winters are probably a huge limiting factor.

Then you don't have a huge carrying capacity.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:41 AM
jf5

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Unfortunatly, that is the case. VT managed its deer herd for quantity for decades and it did not work out well in the long run.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Then why is it that places like Minnesota and the northern penisula of Michigan also have tough winters, but much better deer herds?

Apparently, it wasn't always this way in Vermont. My father, and most other old timers, tell me stories of seeing up to 20 deer in a day of hunting. I usually see a doe or two every other season. What happened to result in such a downward spiral?

I know Vermont will never have the seemingly limitless amount of deer that places like PA and TX seem to have, but we can certainly accomodate a lot more deer than we have now.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:12 AM

I eat large amounts of deer meat, practicly live on the stuff so quantity is important to me. With that said I still try to shoot big bucks, I let most of the small bucks walk and shoot a lot of does. I usually take5+ does a year and 1 or 2 bucks. Living in MD we have plenty of quantity, quality you have to work for a little bit.

Quick Reply: Rather than quality deer management

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.