Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If a tree falls

Old 12-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default If a tree falls

First off I always check the tree that I intend to climb and the surrounding trees. But things can happen and I was wondering if anyone else has ever been in their climber and thought, what would I do if this tree fell or a tree beside me fell? Has this ever happend? Just curious to see if anyone else thinks like this. I'm sure some people have thought about it. Or does my mind just get all out of whack the higher I climb lol?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always check and now usually have ladder stands because of the land I hunt now...but years ago I had used a climber and was up 20 feet or so. I had a bow holder attached to the climber that held the bow on the outside of the stand. I had hunted the tree before and after a few hours in the stand I heard cracking up above me. I realized just in time to grab my bow as a big limb fell right beside my stand ...A few inches closer to me I would guess I would be hoping someone would walk close enough to the tree to get me down from my harness, a bit closer than that, and I expect I wouldn't be typing this.
Scary really...it was 4-5 inch thick limb BTW. would have taken me out easy.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jasonlester
I always check and now usually have ladder stands because of the land I hunt now...but years ago I had used a climber and was up 20 feet or so. I had a bow holder attached to the climber that held the bow on the outside of the stand. I had hunted the tree before and after a few hours in the stand I heard cracking up above me. I realized just in time to grab my bow as a big limb fell right beside my stand ...A few inches closer to me I would guess I would be hoping someone would walk close enough to the tree to get me down from my harness, a bit closer than that, and I expect I wouldn't be typing this.
Scary really...it was 4-5 inch thick limb BTW. would have taken me out easy.
I probably would've died from a heart attack. I know that had you shaking in your boots! I've seen limbs fall but not from the same tree that I was in. Thank God you are ok. I think about stuff like this all the time. Maybe I should just stick to the blind in an open field lol.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

It was several years ago now, we had a heavy ice storm-power was out for 10 days or so.

Somehow our home was in a shadow & received maybe .10 inch. The next day was full sun so I thought to check on my treestand & maybe sit a watch, see what all the fuss was about.

Well, my happy hunting grounds, an old farm, had more than .50 in of ice; the road in was lined with downed trees. Some of the oaks here would take 2+ guys to get arms around-they are big!

As I shut off the truck I noted two things simultaneously-

1) CrashCrashCrashCrash- trees were falling all around and it was LOUD!! I mean it sounded like explosives detonating as these huge trees folded & came down.

2) The fields were full of deer, just standing (and starting every once in a while) looking into the woods as the trees continued to crash!!

The thought struck to retrieve my climber to save it from damage- I was so glad I had set up on the edge vs my usual spot back in the pines! I'll tell you, my eyes were over my shoulder the entire time as I chipped the iced off the cables. That stand must have weighed 50lbs or more!!

That storm left a lot of leaners and standing dead wood to be aware of.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few years back I decided to move my climber to a new location. It was after dark before I made it into the area I want to try. I picked out the perfect tree, set my climber and headed back to camp for a good nioght's sleep. I was out early and climbed up about 20-25 feet and settled in well before daybreak. About 7:15 I just happened to look up and saw no limbs on the "perfect" tree and a wood pecker condo about 10-15 feet above my head. The tree was as dead as a hammer. Man you talk about easing down with some care !!!

As far as a nearby tree cutting loose and raking me out of my stand? I just hope the hit is not too hard and the harness holds !!! Otherwise my wife might need to see if I had 6 friends.

I figure that the odds of that are so long that if it does happen, then the Rev. John Calvin was right all along.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Early in the season I noticed a big dead branch waaaay up (40-50ft) over my head in a Tulip Poplar. Every time I hunted that stand I'd look up at it, and pray it wouldn't come down while was in it. Tulip dreaks reeeal easily. Well, a week ago I went to hunt that stand and that branch had come down. It doesn't look big, but it's about 15ft long and about 4"-5" in diameter, and it was stuck in the ground! I'm safe again.

I always look around to see if there's a tree within reach of me that could cause trouble. I'd never pick a tree for a set and not have already checked things out, especially in the low light. Treestand hunting ain't no joke, and care needs to be put into choosing a good/safe tree. I guess I'm more tree aware than most folks beacause I do tree work (climb) for a living.
Attached Thumbnails If a tree falls-img_1441-custom-.jpg  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mojotex
A few years back I decided to move my climber to a new location. It was after dark before I made it into the area I want to try. I picked out the perfect tree, set my climber and headed back to camp for a good nioght's sleep. I was out early and climbed up about 20-25 feet and settled in well before daybreak. About 7:15 I just happened to look up and saw no limbs on the "perfect" tree and a wood pecker condo about 10-15 feet above my head. The tree was as dead as a hammer. Man you talk about easing down with some care !!!

As far as a nearby tree cutting loose and raking me out of my stand? I just hope the hit is not too hard and the harness holds !!! Otherwise my wife might need to see if I had 6 friends.

I figure that the odds of that are so long that if it does happen, then the Rev. John Calvin was right all along.
A wood pecker condo is never good to see if it's in the tree your in. Bet that was a slow trip down.