Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dear Dog Hunters

Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by elmoughler
I dont have the problem of hunters running dogs while I'm deer hunting, but did have a pooch come by my stand causing a problem during bow. He never made it out of the woods.
Now thats a great image for the ASPCA to use against hunters!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
There are laws that will put you in jail for shooting a dog weather it is on your property or public.
Not in Pa. A loose dog chasing a deer get's shot legally.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I'm pretty sure there are laws against killing other people, too. You may want to check your local ordinances.
No mention of killing anyone! There are other ways to help someone see the light!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Spike

Dogs move deer.

I used to hunt a big section in dog country and we shot many a buck that were circling hounds.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Other than flushing birds, I'm not a fan of dogs chasing anything.
Thankfully they don't allow dogs in Ohio. If I saw someone chasing with dogs on the private property I hunt, Id be more compelled to shoot the hunter rather than his dogs.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
Now thats a great image for the ASPCA to use against hunters!
That may be, but the owner of that dog has been warned before to keep it out of my woods. Its happened year after year, and I finally got tired of it.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by AquamanPSD
Yea sorry dog hunters but put yourself in someone else's shoes, extremely inconsiderate to your fellow hunter. Any dog on my property that affects my hunting becomes a distant memory real quick, even if it's mine!

Clubs around me run Deer Dogs.... In SC if you shoot one of them you will go to jail and lose your hunting rights in this state....
Old 11-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Spike

The Michigan DNR encourages hunters to shoot dogs that are chasing deer, as the use of dogs is illegal, and such dogs are presumed to be feral or habitual killers. As a dog lover, I'm not sure I would do it. Hope I never have to.

As for bow hunting, it's my preferred method due to the reduced # of hunters in the field and the increased # of hours available to hunt (10/1 to 12/31). It also forces the hunter to be better at almost everything related to hunting; otherwise the deer will never get close enough for an ethical shot, which varies by ability gained through practice.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

I catch them and take the tracking collars off and destroy. I do not like shooting dogs it makes me feel bad.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I have no real desire to hunt with a bow. Buzzing insects, green leaves and warm weather don't mix with deer hunting IMO. But you may be pushing me in the that direction. The four times I got to hunt in our two weeks of muzzleloader season were awesome. Saw deer every time and killed two. They don't let you run dogs during muzzleloader season. Thank God.

Now that the dog hunters run their dogs through every cotton-pickin' inch of Pocahontas State Park, it really, really makes the deer extra prone to going 100% nocturnal. Yes, even on the weekdays.

Got to hunt some private land this past Saturday for the first time. Thought it would be awesome. But I found that the surrounding properties run deer dogs. And guess what? Those dogs came onto the property where I was taking my sister hunting for the first time. What's that you say? You can't control where the dogs run, and dogs don't know the property lines? NO KIDDING!! That's the point.

So I might just have to take up bow hunting, simply to be able to hunt without your invasive critters crawling over every inch of woods known to man.
If you start bowhunting you may find that you really like it. I started years ago because I got tired of all my buddies getting an extra month in the woods. I now find bowhunting to be my favorite time of year....even though hunting during the rut is much more exciting.

Now to address a couple of your concerns about bowhunting.

Buzzing insects can be controlled with Permithrin, DEET, or a Thermacell.

Green leaves have to be dealt with in my part of the state during blackpowder season as well, so I just look at it as more available natural camo!

Hot temperatures are something you just have to learn to deal with.

There is also something else you could consider. You could find property to hunt in counties that are east of the Blue Ridge but yet they are still west of the dog running line.

Now I need to get my son on the school bus and hit the woods!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.