Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dear Dog Hunters

Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ohboy
wow you really have a bad taste in your mouth for dogs and dog hunting
No...I just have respect for other people's property rights....I don't trespass.....I will knock on your door and ask permission to come on your land if I shoot a deer and it's somewhere on your land.....Its not right to cross property lines just because your dog has.....just wait for them to come back out or come and get them after legal hunting hours are over....that away at least the doggers won't make it any worse for the stand hunter......

Ohboy....answer me this.....Why isn't there Sunday Hunting in Va...???
Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

As I have stated many times before, I don't want deer hunting with dogs to be banned. I think a ban on dog hunting would or could lead to other bans. However, I want things to be equal. The dog hunters should have to buy a special license to hunt big game like other hunters do, there should be minimum acre requirements for running dogs, and the season should be moved back until after the majority of the rut is over.

But here is what ticks me and others off about dog hunting and the VA Hunting Dog Alliance:

www.americanhunter.org/blogs/VHDA-Sunday-Hunting/
Old 12-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

VAhuntr.....Thanks for posting that article ....it's a good read and true...
Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

I honestly dont know why we cant hunt on sundays in va. I wish we could, and could only hunt on privately owned land and still hunt only. Id be out every sunday with my son hunting. But i wouldnt ever vote to ban hound hunting to have sunday hunting. See i guess with the club i hunt in i dont see the problems with our dogs going onto someone elses land and having these issues that others have. Our club hunts all private owned farm land and everything around it is a hunter who hunts with us. So if our dogs go out the hunt they are still on our land that we can hunt and have access to. Not sure where you are located at brewman but i understand your arguement and what you think should be done and i agree. I would be pissed if people were all over my land and didnt have permission to. i have a cattle gate up on the path so people cant just drive all over my paths and tear them up anymore, that pisses me off and i know where your coming from with it also. Really pisses me off when i see shotgun shells laying on the path where they came in our property and shot the deer, i have actually seen where they drug the deer down the path to the truck and then they had the nerve to clean the deer and left the carcus in our cutover right off the path. But that defenitly isnt how I hunt or anyone in our club do it. Yes i know of others that do this and i dont hunt with them clubs or go around them, they are the ones who you are cussing and they are the ones that will ruin the dog hunting.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

I am at work and do not have time to read through all 11 pages of post but I have to weigh in with my opinions. First off I am not going to say dog hunting is lazy because chasing dogs through the mountains I am sure is very hard work, but your taking the "hunt" out of hunting letting the dogs do the work for you. If I had a piece of hunting property that was my own land and I had dogs running on my property I would make sure those dogs left the property in a different manner than when they came on it (take that however you want). My dislike for dog hunters started when I was a teenager. I was hunting and had a bear come running through the woods and it tree'd twice but not allowing me shots. A little later the dogs come through (they were not allowed on this property) and the "hunters" soon followed. I talked with them and told them about the bear and how I tried getting a shot but was unsuccessful. Then they informed me that if I had shot the bear they would have taking turns kicking my a$$!!! I was a 16 year old kid!!! Now also being a 16 year old and seeing red they let out of there damn near as fast as the dogs (rifle season you put it together). I have had several arguements with dog hunters over the years and they all ended up running off behind there dogs because they were #1 trespassing #2 didn't want to face the consequences of a highly irrate 300 lb man with a loaded rifle. Now to get a little more serious and down to how I really feel if you ain't figured it out yet. I know all dog hunters aren't bad people but I have yet to ever meet one who cared about property boundries! I don't like dog hunters (outside of bird or coon hunting) I never will like dog hunting whether it be deer or bear hunting. If you wanna kill a deer or bear then get off your a$$, stop letting the dogs do the work for you, and learn to hunt like a real hunter! My opinions only, I just had to let em out
Forgot to add....I don't want dog hunting banned because I feel it would allow other bans to take place and I am sure there are decent dog hunters out there I just haven't met any. It just isn't my cup of tea.....

Last edited by shooter50; 12-11-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by early in
Not in Pa. A loose dog chasing a deer get's shot legally.
Not in Illinois either. I once had a neighbor kill my lab. Since the "hunter" was on the ground at the same level as the dog, he could claim self defense. If he was in a tree, then the local assistant DA may have prosecuted.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by brewman555
No...I just have respect for other people's property rights....I don't trespass.....I will knock on your door and ask permission to come on your land if I shoot a deer and it's somewhere on your land.....Its not right to cross property lines just because your dog has.....just wait for them to come back out or come and get them after legal hunting hours are over....that away at least the doggers won't make it any worse for the stand hunter......

Ohboy....answer me this.....Why isn't there Sunday Hunting in Va...???
Its because of all of the bible thumpers, not because of the hound hunters. Virginia is part of the bible belt.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ohboy
I honestly dont know why we cant hunt on sundays in va. I wish we could, and could only hunt on privately owned land and still hunt only. Id be out every sunday with my son hunting. But i wouldnt ever vote to ban hound hunting to have sunday hunting. See i guess with the club i hunt in i dont see the problems with our dogs going onto someone elses land and having these issues that others have. Our club hunts all private owned farm land and everything around it is a hunter who hunts with us. So if our dogs go out the hunt they are still on our land that we can hunt and have access to. Not sure where you are located at brewman but i understand your arguement and what you think should be done and i agree. I would be pissed if people were all over my land and didnt have permission to. i have a cattle gate up on the path so people cant just drive all over my paths and tear them up anymore, that pisses me off and i know where your coming from with it also. Really pisses
me off when i see shotgun shells laying on the path where they came in our property and shot the deer, i have actually seen where they drug the deer down the path to the truck and then they had the nerve to clean the deer and left the carcus in our cutover right off the path. But that defenitly isnt how I hunt or anyone in our club do it. Yes i know of others that do this and i dont hunt with them clubs or go around them, they are the ones who you are cussing and they are
the ones that will ruin the dog hunting.
Ohboy....you seem like a good guy and you hunt with a club that respects others around them.....I don't hunt with dogs...never have in my 46 years of hunting.....to those that do fine...It's just another way to hunt....and I wouldn't want it banned just like I wouldn't want bowhunting banned.....I just wish the dog hunters would learn to respect others that are hunting on private property....two week ago I was hunting in Louisa and had two dogs run around the woods I was in for over 1 hour barking their heads off until they finally left...I saw three does making their way through the woods browsing as they walked....the dogs came and I never saw any deer the rest of the day.......i'v also found spent shells on my property....and other signs of hunters being on it .......don't know if it was guys with dogs or not...dosn't matter .....either way they didn't belong and as you said they give ALL hunters a bad name....
Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jim Burns
Its because of all of the bible thumpers, not because of the hound hunters. Virginia is part of the bible belt.
You don't have a clue.....
Old 12-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by shooter50
I am at work and do not have time to read through all 11 pages of post but I have to weigh in with my opinions. First off I am not going to say dog hunting is lazy because chasing dogs through the mountains I am sure is very hard work, but your taking the "hunt" out of hunting letting the dogs do the work for you. If I had a piece of hunting property that was my own land and I had dogs running on my property I would make sure those dogs left the property in a different manner than when they came on it (take that however you want). My dislike for dog hunters started when I was a teenager. I was hunting and had a bear come running through the woods and it tree'd twice but not allowing me shots. A little later the dogs come through (they were not allowed on this property) and the "hunters" soon followed. I talked with them and told them about the bear and how I tried getting a shot but was unsuccessful. Then they informed me that if I had shot the bear they would have taking turns kicking my a$$!!! I was a 16 year old kid!!! Now also being a 16 year old and seeing red they let out of there damn near as fast as the dogs (rifle season you put it together). I have had several arguements with dog hunters over the years and they all ended up running off behind there dogs because they were #1 trespassing #2 didn't want to face the consequences of a highly irrate 300 lb man with a loaded rifle. Now to get a little more serious and down to how I really feel if you ain't figured it out yet. I know all dog hunters aren't bad people but I have yet to ever meet one who cared about property boundries! I don't like dog hunters (outside of bird or coon hunting) I never will like dog hunting whether it be deer or bear hunting. If you wanna kill a deer or bear then get off your a$$, stop letting the dogs do the work for you, and learn to hunt like a real hunter! My opinions only, I just had to let em out
Forgot to add....I don't want dog hunting banned because I feel it would allow other bans to take place and I am sure there are decent dog hunters out there I just haven't met any. It just isn't my cup of tea.....
You should not shoot a bear out of a tree under dogs that arnt yours, because when you shoot a bear in the tree you need to have the dogs tied back in a safe area in case the bear comes out and attacks the dogs. You would have been jeapordizing that mans hounds by not knowing what you were doing. Now agred they shouldnt have threatened you but you haver no business shooting any animal over someone elses dogs.

As far as a unfair advantage of shooting a defensless bear out of a tree, what is the difference in you being in a tree and shooting a deffensless animal on the ground. When you look at it, all hunting is a unfair advantage, the animals arnt armed, they are not aware they are being hunted, when they are being pursued by hounds they know they are being hunted. Is it fair to use a high powered rifle with a tactical scope to shoot a deer at 500 yards that is enjoying a day in the feild eating grass? If you want to make it fair build your own bow, chip your own arrowheads, spot a buck run out there and yell at it and then go hunt it. Now you are on a level playing field, the animal is aware you are out to kill it. Now that would be fair hunting wouldnt it? How about hireing a guide? That is a unfair advantage, you are using the skills of the guide to find you a animal, you arnt using your huinting skills. Hey this arguement on a fair way of hunting can go on and on, just like the antis like to do to it, they put hunters against each other. The oldest tactic in the books, divide and conquer. I wouldnt be supprised if a majority of the people on here that are spouting this crap wernt antis, with a agenda.

Last edited by Jim Burns; 12-11-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.