Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Ameristep Doghouse Blind Question >

Ameristep Doghouse Blind Question

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ameristep Doghouse Blind Question

Old 09-11-2003, 09:14 PM

Default Ameristep Doghouse Blind Question

I just received my Doghouse pop-up blind today. I set it up and it is awesome. It sets up in a couple of minutes and has many options as to how you can hunt out of it. Has anyone with this blind shot their muzzleloader through the see-through mesh coverings on the windows of the blind? I think I will open the windows so the muzzle of my gun can stick out of the blind. Does anyone think that the deer will notice the large opening in the blind when I am getting ready to shoot?
Old 09-11-2003, 11:14 PM

Default RE: Ameristep Doghouse Blind Question

we re using the same blind. I would think that as long as you keep the flaps behind you shut so that your in the shade and not " hi lighted" you ll be fine,
had turkeys within 8 yards of me last deerseason. keep movement to a minimum and you should be fine.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:32 AM
Dominant Buck

1turkeykiller ,
DO NOT TRY TO SHOOT THROUGH THE MESH WITH A FIREARM !!
The mesh and tent fabric are flammable . I have the Outhouse version , and I make sure the muzzle is well outside the tent wall , especially when using the one with a muzzle brake .

The shoot through mesh applies only to arrows/bolts , not firearms .
Old 09-12-2003, 08:09 AM

i replaced my old tattered blind with the outhouse yesterday.after i got it setup i sat inside and made adjustments and became familiar with the windows.after cooling off,i decided to step outside and eliminate some weeds when i looked up i saw the biggest buck i have ever seen in the woods standing 75 yards away staring at me.we stared at each other for a minute or so and he bounded away.there is a persimmon tree about 30 yards away from the direction he was headed.i won' t be able to keep the picture of this buck out of my mind until oct.1st.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ditto on what Kevin stated. DO NOT shoot a fire arm through the mesh. A fire could ensue.

As for worrying about the muzzle sticking out of the blind....I would not worry. Last fall a buddy of mine was hunting out of the blind with me. He had his flintlock and I was using my bow. A doe walked out into the field about 90 yards away and he proceeded to take 3 shots (and 3 misses) at the deer with that flintlock before it decided to high-tail it out of the field.

You should not have a problem using the muzzleloader in the blind...
Old 09-12-2003, 01:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Loner ,
stake out that persimmon tree ! Let me know if you need any help with that buck ...
Old 09-13-2003, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was told to leave the mesh up and then cut a small slit in it to slide your barrel out of it, and if your using a bow i think you can get about thirty shots out of the mesh. Or slide your gun through one of the holes you poked through with your bh.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have shot every thing from coyotes to turkeys and
it hasent scared them off yet!!!!