Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 ameristep doghouse blind >

ameristep doghouse blind

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

ameristep doghouse blind

Old 09-19-2005, 08:49 AM

Default ameristep doghouse blind

I am thinking about getting a dog house for this upcoming season and i was wondering if 68 inches tall is enough to draw a bow back easily. im about 6'5 i will be sitting down and i want to know if this is a decent blind for a taller guy like me. thanks, pistol pete.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: ameristep doghouse blind

Unless your bow is short ATA you'll probably find it a bit cramped . Try a taller straighter sided model such as the Stackhouse , Brickhouse , or Penthouse .
Old 09-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

I have an ameristep doghouse,
I am 5'10 165 lbs and it is just enough room for me, and not enough room at certain angles
I would NOT recomend it if you are 6'5,
i would try to go to a shop that has them setup so you can try it out,
Old 09-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

6'0" 200lbs
I purposely shoot a short draw length to aviod string slap. Yet, my elbow will still brush the back of the blind in the draw. The only way I found to get away with it, is to face the corner of the blind at my intended area of shooting. This allows my arm to draw into the far opposite corner. I then have a very narrow window opening to shoot through.
If you are 6'5", I would saythis blind is not going to work for you!
Old 09-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

At 6'4" I don't have a problem shooting out of the Doghouse...sitting. However, it is a close thing. My neighbor who is 6'7" and 365 pounds just bought the Doghouse TSC (8 inches wider than the Doghouse) and has no problems shooting out of it.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:23 AM

I just bought a "knock off" of one and shot with it last night. I had to leave the back flap open to get drawn ok but, on a side note, i was pretty impressed with the shoot thru mesh. I always had concerns about it, hurting my arrow flight but, it worked out just awesome! can't wait to use it!
travis
Old 09-21-2005, 07:58 PM

Got the regular Doghouse last year and it works great. If only it were just a little bigger around. I'm 6'00", 225 lbsbut have a wide wingspan. Up and down in the blind is fine but I find it a bit cramped when drawing. If it were just 6" deeper it would be perfect. The shoot through mesh works great. I would definitely buy this brand again but will look for a little bit wider model.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'm 6'0, 300 lbs and shoot a 38" bow, 29" draw. I have only shot out of the blind once. it definitely isn't the most room you'll find, but I didn't have any problems shooting
Old 09-22-2005, 06:36 AM

well i ended up buying the stack house and i believe i made the right choice. i can stand up completely and i pulled back and i was able to do a complete cirlce in the blind. i am gonna get it out hopefully this week and practice shooting out of it. one quick question, is it always that loud when putting up the blind? thanks, Pete.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pistol Pete 101

well i ended up buying the stack house and i believe i made the right choice. i can stand up completely and i pulled back and i was able to do a complete cirlce in the blind. i am gonna get it out hopefully this week and practice shooting out of it. one quick question, is it always that loud when putting up the blind? thanks, Pete.
Most of the time yes , the fabric whistles as it unfolds , and you may get an occasional "pop" as the frame springs open . Just try to open it as quietly as possible , any deer that hear you will forget about you quickly once you get settled in .