Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Help setting up a new deer lease >

Help setting up a new deer lease

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help setting up a new deer lease

Old 09-14-2003, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help setting up a new deer lease

I' m thinking of putting up a 320 half section of timber for deer hunters. This area is the only good cover around for a couple of miles and really holds the deer well. There' s not been any bucks taken for many years and I' m thinking of opening it up. Can some of you help me by telling what kind of lease works best for all involved. Some charge by the gun and others charge for the season. Also I' m thinking of a quota on does and a set minimum size on bucks. I' m just checking to see what' s the best plan. I also have turkeys and didn' t know how to include them in the price since I don' t know the going rates. Help please.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:39 PM

Default RE: Help setting up a new deer lease

here in texas one of the most popular ways to lease the property is by the year charging per gun/person. All inclusive. you make the rules they go by, access, bag limits and what not. It all depends on how involved you want to be. My dad is on a lease, same group of hunters lease it every year. They hunt turkey in the spring, doves in season and ofcourse deer. They have strict limits on the deer, they ve been managing it for years. But the hunters have access to the land year round and pretty much come and go as they please. Setting up blinds wherever they want to by the guidelines the landowner gave them. One price covers everything.
Other people lease there land for use only seasonal or even semi annually. Its all up to how you want to do it. Then of course you have day leasing. which is an entirely different world all together
Old 09-15-2003, 07:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Help setting up a new deer lease

With only 320 acres I would get a price in mind, maybe $6 or $7 per acre (you should be able to get the going rate in your area from a game warden) and offer it to a couple of hunters you know for the deer hunting, then you could get $2 or $3 per acre for the turkey hunting either from the same few people or different hunters. Let them be responsible for maintaining insurance and the expense of food plots. Keep the number of hunters as low as possible, it will be easier to manage. Be up front with your ideas about deer harvest, and if they don' t like it seek out other hunters. You could form a club, but it can be a real pain.