Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Let your child skip school to hunt? >

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Old 12-18-2010, 10:50 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Chuck7
"Wouldn't fight you. Your in too good shape. I would swing 5 times and pass out. "
Big Country..

Don't forget it either big boy..I 'm your Huckleberry.
Easy now. Always have a new years resolution. Hit the gym hard, lose 80lbs and 12 hours car ride later, I am in FL.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

You bet I do. There is alot of lessons and information out there can can only be taught in the field.It's necessary for parents to introduce these life skills ouside and during school, even if it interfereS with school teachings and studies. School is important, reading writing books, but I feel travelling and actually seeing and participating in the real thing is more important.I sent my son to Austrialia to play Rugby for 2 wkd. The trip was paid for it was suggested each kid, brings spending money. He learned money management very quickly.He blew threw $1500 bucks of my money that I told him to use for emergency only on top of his own.Buying, boomerangs, leather hats,bull whips, and other Austrialian suveniers, in the first 4 days and I got an email requesting he's broke and needs more. I put 30 bucks a day in his account for food that's it and all.Every parent got that request though.He survived.But yeah,he can now understand 3 languages, and speaks them pretty well. Cause he travelling at the moment.He quit French in school cause it was boring and didn't have an interest in learning another language, well that and the fact that I have made it quite clear in what I
think of the people and Province of Quebec.Travelling and field trips keep kids interested.You have to have a great mindset when school is concerned,it can be great for some kids, but others don't appreciate it cause
it's hard to understand if you havn't seen it, or been there to do it. You
have to have imagination and alot of kids havn't developed that skill yet
until much later.They say your on the average, a persons brain isn't totally
connected until the age of 23 - 25,which is why slot of these kids do stupid
things.The one thing I have always stressed on my kids is be the best of
the best at whatever you choose to become.It doesn't matter what you do,
or education level, you have, the worst and mediocore are always the first
to go.. always.They never last forever in business ownership and partner ship either. But yeah experiencing the real world is very important in raising a well rounded sucessful child.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 12-18-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Must be a nation-wide run on Mason jars, what with all those testicles in storage on the shelf!!
Old 12-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Must be a nation-wide run on Mason jars, what with all those testicles in storage on the shelf!! uncle Norby..

Yes sir...

Last edited by Chuck7; 12-19-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Spike

I would, me and my dad had an agreement that if he let me take days off school then I had to keep my grades up; if my grades dropped then he wouldn't let me take anymore days off.

Last edited by bcarn004; 12-19-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Typical Buck

I let my boy miss one day during rifle season. I have been doing it for about 4 years now and will keep doing it as long as he keeps his grads up.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

I've read most, but not all of the thread; pardon any redundancy.
I was thinking about this very thing earlier in the Fall. I clearly remember waaaaaaay back in the dim, dark days of the early 80's
( it's funny how the 80's are beginning to seem as ancient now as the 60's did then) Opening -Day was an excusable absence. It really started the Saturday prior taking a few shots, organizing gear, cleaning the rifle, making a plan, listening to the older guys talk about seasons past.
What I was reminiscing about mostly, though, was how often at dark you might see a hunter walking down the road,rifle slung over his shoulder you'd pull up and give him a ride to his truck; I don't think that would get the same reception today.
Also, one reason you'd be walking down the road is most of the land around here, was NOT cut up into little 3 acre parcels and postedpostedposted ! It was reasonable to ask permission but was just as common to pull off the road and head in-at dark you'd strike the road and head back to the truck.
Now I'm saying truck, but the fact of the matter is a lot of people drove station wagons, and not an F850 v-16, double lifted,dually, 4WD, bluetooth enabled, GPS equipped, it even breathes for you, w/ electro-matic butt massage( yeah, I drive one)- I kinda miss those wagons w/ a deer or two strapped to the hood...
Also pickups w/ maybe 8 or 10 guys coming off a deer drive all wearing Woolrich red sitting on a deer or two, drinking a Genny-from a can!

At the time, I clearly didn't understand it was nostalgia brewing. A kid could do much worse than take a day off from school for the Season-opener...
Old 12-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

See if he can get the work done ahead of time so he will not fall behind. Years later that day of school will be long forgotten but his memory hunting with you will not.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:44 AM
Spike

Area schools are closed the 1st two days of rifle season here. I would let my children skip if needed. I myself call in sick at work if I could get scheduled off. LOL
Old 12-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Spike

YES! My father left me skip school to spend time with him and my older brother! The only regret I would've had is if he wouldn't have left me hunt with them. School will always be there I know learning is important, but so are the memories of being in the woods! We live such short lives that spending time, and making memories is what helps us grow and be better people. Ultimately it's the parent or guardians call, but teaching them this heritage by missing 1-3 days of school isn't so bad... Think about about it... How many days has one played hooky from work to hunt/fish...? hmmm....?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.