Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Let your child skip school to hunt? >

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:45 AM
bigcountry

i myself am not a fan of folks blowing off school for any reason. It can work for some people. But most of the families that I see practice this have children with substandard to average grades to begin with. Not a rule, but just my observation.

I blew off hunting all thru my college years. It didn't kill me, and in fact helped me. I didn't hunt more than 2 times a year when in college. Now, I have the luxury of taking off weeks to hunt. I knew guys in college who would blow off midterms to hunt. They claim it didn't make a difference, but I personally know several who didn't make it thru. I won't say, hunting alone pushed them over the edge, but the overall attitude to education. Pay now or pay later.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec
No i would not,
regardless of grades, sets a bad precedence,
school first,
should be your priority to schedule the trip to accomodate his schooling.
IMO, not doing it sets a precedence in allowing the STATE to run every aspect of your life!!
Old 12-15-2010, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

Where I teach the school shuts down for the week of deer season. But yes I would let him miss to hunt.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:14 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
IMO, not doing it sets a precedence in allowing the STATE to run every aspect of your life!!
Quite a freakin stretch there.

You know for lots of years, hunting has ran my life. the older I get, the more I understand that there are more important things than a deer.

I know a old hunter who came to me with concerns that I spend way too much time hunting, that one day, all my trophies, my mounts, won't mean a thing. And will probably end up in a yard sale for 15 dollars.

If your in your 20's, I understand your response, but I guarantee it will change when you get older.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

My father always called the school to get me out of class for a day of hunting, the next year after it started the secretaries would non-chalantly ask if I was hunting and then continue to tell him to tell me "good luck"... I made it through high school, 4 years of college and Army service.

IMHO, skipping school in high school prepares students for college more than high school itself, and presents an opportunity for the student to develop good class ethics, by having to find the time to complete the assignments he/she missed.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:24 AM
Spike

If you think the kids have been minding you and deserve to go. Then by all mean reward them and let them skip. If they give attitude alot then no.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

With out a doubt.......Yesssssss
Old 12-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

I say yes. My father let me cut school for hunting when I was a kid. It was understood though, that if my grades slipped or I got in trouble at school, the time out of school for hunting was a no go. I think it's a necessary/valuable thing. Good quality time spent with your father and at an early age while you learn what an agreement with stipulations means. No grades = No Hunt. For me it's not a matter of right and wrong, it's a matter of tradition, and traditions, as well as hunting are a dying breed.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Quite a freakin stretch there.

You know for lots of years, hunting has ran my life. the older I get, the more I understand that there are more important things than a deer.

I know a old hunter who came to me with concerns that I spend way too much time hunting, that one day, all my trophies, my mounts, won't mean a thing. And will probably end up in a yard sale for 15 dollars.

If your in your 20's, I understand your response, but I guarantee it will change when you get older.
Not as big as a stretch as your (apparent) comparison that this father taking his kid hunting on a school day is somehow similar to your (over) obsession with hunting. Who in their right mind would agree that there's nothing more important than deer? Tell you what, though, teaching this kid LIFE SKILLS that he will NEVER learn in school is absolutely VITAL. I do not take for granted that we will be able to wander around the grocery stores like zombies forever. If we see those times, one's ability to pick up a gun and do what needs to be done will be of so much more importance than not having missed a couple of days of school.

I am not poo-pooing the importance of education. What I am saying is that the State is conditioning us to become completely dependent on the system, a system that is hopelessly corrupted and controlled by fewer and fewer people every day. And I REFUSE to have my children subjected to it like little slaves.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Depends on the kid and the situation. Matt, my 13 year old son, has taken days off from school for the purpose of hunting. The deal is he has to check with his teachers and get a line on the work to be covered during his absence. IMO as long as he stays up with everything and is getting good grades it's not an issue. I think the preparation and work before hand is key.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.