HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Let your child skip school to hunt?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Jeff Ovington
Nontypical Buck

You bet I do. There is alot of lessons and information out there can can only be taught in the field.It's necessary for parents to introduce these life skills ouside and during school, even if it interfereS with school teachings and studies. School is important, reading writing books, but I feel travelling and actually seeing and participating in the real thing is more important.I sent my son to Austrialia to play Rugby for 2 wkd. The trip was paid for it was suggested each kid, brings spending money. He learned money management very quickly.He blew threw $1500 bucks of my money that I told him to use for emergency only on top of his own.Buying, boomerangs, leather hats,bull whips, and other Austrialian suveniers, in the first 4 days and I got an email requesting he's broke and needs more. I put 30 bucks a day in his account for food that's it and all.Every parent got that request though.He survived.But yeah,he can now understand 3 languages, and speaks them pretty well. Cause he travelling at the moment.He quit French in school cause it was boring and didn't have an interest in learning another language, well that and the fact that I have made it quite clear in what I
think of the people and Province of Quebec.Travelling and field trips keep kids interested.You have to have a great mindset when school is concerned,it can be great for some kids, but others don't appreciate it cause
it's hard to understand if you havn't seen it, or been there to do it. You
have to have imagination and alot of kids havn't developed that skill yet
until much later.They say your on the average, a persons brain isn't totally
connected until the age of 23 - 25,which is why slot of these kids do stupid
things.The one thing I have always stressed on my kids is be the best of
the best at whatever you choose to become.It doesn't matter what you do,
or education level, you have, the worst and mediocore are always the first
to go.. always.They never last forever in business ownership and partner ship either. But yeah experiencing the real world is very important in raising a well rounded sucessful child.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 12-18-2010 at 11:05 AM.