Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Let your child skip school to hunt? >

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Old 12-17-2010, 05:49 PM
  #91  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 53
Default

Originally Posted by bigcountry View Post
So what about it the son wanted to go ice skating with his father? Or snow ski? Or go see a concert? Maybe even attend an art gallery with his father. List of activities could be endless. Or is hunting the only place you would let him skip?

Sounds like a good question. So would these all "out of classrooms, life lessons" justify skipping if the student kept up his homework? How much would a student have to be caught up? Straight A's? A few B's and C's?
You're right bigcountry, I sure got my fill of answers, lol.

I wrote out a post before dinner and got disconnected before I could enter it. A good part of my post posed the very same concerns that you just did. After teaching my son never to miss church, school, or work unless circumstances dictate (e.g. illness), what happens when I suddenly change the rules? This opens up a real Pandora's Box in that he can say, hey, you let me skip for deer hunting, why can't I skip for this activity which I enjoy even more? I don't know that this would ever happen, but still, it's in the back of my mind.

As far as grades are concerned, I could set the requirement that he maintain his current average. But then again, what if he is a point away from maintaining it? Or a half a point? Sure I could say that there is no leeway, but if he misses by a slight fraction, there's the potential for some real bitterness about the whole thing.

As I said before, who knows the future and maybe this fear of giving him one day off is much ado about nothing. But still ...
Tracker II is offline  
Old 12-17-2010, 05:59 PM
  #92  
Spike
 
Marlerboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Enterprise, AL
Posts: 76
Default

Originally Posted by Tracker II View Post
You're right bigcountry, I sure got my fill of answers, lol.

I wrote out a post before dinner and got disconnected before I could enter it. A good part of my post posed the very same concerns that you just did. After teaching my son never to miss church, school, or work unless circumstances dictate (e.g. illness), what happens when I suddenly change the rules? This opens up a real Pandora's Box in that he can say, hey, you let me skip for deer hunting, why can't I skip for this activity which I enjoy even more? I don't know that this would ever happen, but still, it's in the back of my mind.

As far as grades are concerned, I could set the requirement that he maintain his current average. But then again, what if he is a point away from maintaining it? Or a half a point? Sure I could say that there is no leeway, but if he misses by a slight fraction, there's the potential for some real bitterness about the whole thing.

As I said before, who knows the future and maybe this fear of giving him one day off is much ado about nothing. But still ...
Thats when you set him straight. Its about spending time with your boy. When your gone hell cherish those memories.
Marlerboy is offline  
Old 12-17-2010, 06:03 PM
  #93  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 53
Default

Oops, I forgot to add that we can probably put this whole thread to rest as everyone has given me their thoughts on the matter, which I really do appreciate. My wife and I have nearly a year to decide on what we will do regarding the 2011 season. Your posts will surely give us food for thought during that time. Thanks again. As a new member, I look forward to learning from you all.
Tracker II is offline  
Old 12-17-2010, 06:05 PM
  #94  
bigcountry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally Posted by MizzouMonster View Post
You sure seem worked up about this. Tell ya what, I'll raise my children as I see fit and you do the same. If people decide to pull their kids from school it's their business.
Nope, just a slow day. Your statement sounds fine, so I guess you have no interest in this thread anymore. See ya

But a person who says its no-one's business would never come on here as you and want to give advise or take any.

Last edited by bigcountry; 12-17-2010 at 06:09 PM.
 
Old 12-17-2010, 06:08 PM
  #95  
bigcountry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I would say tracker, you and your kids will be fine no matter if he skips or not. You know why? You actually take the time to think about this decision. My hats off to you.

Many folks don't.

Originally Posted by Tracker II View Post
You're right bigcountry, I sure got my fill of answers, lol.

I wrote out a post before dinner and got disconnected before I could enter it. A good part of my post posed the very same concerns that you just did. After teaching my son never to miss church, school, or work unless circumstances dictate (e.g. illness), what happens when I suddenly change the rules? This opens up a real Pandora's Box in that he can say, hey, you let me skip for deer hunting, why can't I skip for this activity which I enjoy even more? I don't know that this would ever happen, but still, it's in the back of my mind.

As far as grades are concerned, I could set the requirement that he maintain his current average. But then again, what if he is a point away from maintaining it? Or a half a point? Sure I could say that there is no leeway, but if he misses by a slight fraction, there's the potential for some real bitterness about the whole thing.

As I said before, who knows the future and maybe this fear of giving him one day off is much ado about nothing. But still ...
 
Old 12-17-2010, 06:13 PM
  #96  
Dominant Buck
 
Chuck7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 25,113
Default

The odds are..if your son is making As and Bs..he will pass the state test with flying colors..

WIth straight As and Bs he could take a few days off. A/B students are rare these days. Parents make A/B students..I appreciate those parents who work with thier kids.
Chuck7 is offline  
Old 12-17-2010, 06:17 PM
  #97  
Fork Horn
 
MizzouMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jefferson City
Posts: 170
Default

Originally Posted by bigcountry View Post
Nope, just a slow day. Your statement sounds fine, so I guess you have no interest in this thread anymore. See ya

But a person who says its no-one's business would never come on here as you and want to give advise or take any.
No I stated early in the thread my views on the issue. It's just I find it amusing you keep railing on about it. People are going to do what they thinks best for their kids and your rants about child rearing on a hunting forum won't change that. Now feel free to post 30 more busybody posts.

MizzouMonster is offline  
Old 12-17-2010, 06:32 PM
  #98  
bigcountry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally Posted by MizzouMonster View Post
No I stated early in the thread my views on the issue. It's just I find it amusing you keep railing on about it. People are going to do what they thinks best for their kids and your rants about child rearing on a hunting forum won't change that. Now feel free to post 30 more busybody posts.

I might, or might now. Who knows really. Not sure why a person would care so much about this post if like you said, its no business of anyone but the parent. You seem rather defensive.

You need to relax. I see no rants, and if this is a rant, then you better not go out in public.

So, maybe you might want to answer. What if your kid wants to go skiing, or ice skating. Is this a good life lesson time to skip? Or go to a concert, or even an art gallery. Is your decision based totally as a hunting day? Or its just something you want to do, so its ok to skip. Thanks, See ya.
 
Old 12-17-2010, 06:34 PM
  #99  
bigcountry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally Posted by Chuck7 View Post
The odds are..if your son is making As and Bs..he will pass the state test with flying colors..

WIth straight As and Bs he could take a few days off. A/B students are rare these days. Parents make A/B students..I appreciate those parents who work with thier kids.
Is that good enough for all parents? Or should some seek straight A's? What level is good enough? why not a good ole mediocre C student? Just curiosity.
 
Old 12-17-2010, 06:37 PM
  #100  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NY: NYC to Watertown
Posts: 897
Default

Originally Posted by Tracker II View Post
You're right bigcountry, I sure got my fill of answers, lol.

I wrote out a post before dinner and got disconnected before I could enter it. A good part of my post posed the very same concerns that you just did. After teaching my son never to miss church, school, or work unless circumstances dictate (e.g. illness), what happens when I suddenly change the rules? This opens up a real Pandora's Box in that he can say, hey, you let me skip for deer hunting, why can't I skip for this activity which I enjoy even more? I don't know that this would ever happen, but still, it's in the back of my mind.

As far as grades are concerned, I could set the requirement that he maintain his current average. But then again, what if he is a point away from maintaining it? Or a half a point? Sure I could say that there is no leeway, but if he misses by a slight fraction, there's the potential for some real bitterness about the whole thing.

As I said before, who knows the future and maybe this fear of giving him one day off is much ado about nothing. But still ...

Good concerns you have,
And don't think there's a right or wrong answer,
That's between you your kid and the mrs.
I find grades not a very good indicator for reward,
Some kids naturally and easily get A's, while others work their tail off and get B's.
Should one get rewarded over the other? I can't answer that.
Terasec is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.