Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Advice on shot placement.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Spike

if you missed the shoulder good shot sounds like you got him
Old 09-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
If you hit him you should find blood. If you went between the shoulder blade and the spine you got lungs. If you look at the anatomy of a deer the top of the longs connects with a lining to the spine. There is no "void". There is some clue out there at the point of impact. You have to find it. The last buck I shot I found exactly 2 drops of blood in a 150 yards. I went off of tracks and other clues and found him piled up. You can do it. Go find him.
I agree on finding blood. Even if he's not bleeding out from the hole, he should be bleeding out through his mouth if I got any lungs. Trust me I searched and searched for that initial spot of blood and could not find any, before we started our grid search. Do you know of a good website for deer anatomy? I've found a few but nothing that great.

Trust me this is eating me up inside. Seems to be all I think about every day from the time I get up to the time I go to sleep. My family and friends know how hard-core I am but they still don't understand it.

I'm going to head out again this weekend to look for him. I won't be sitting in a stand again till I feel like I have done all I can. I realize that the meat will be spoiled of course, but I need to have that piece of mind, and to be able to know where I for sure hit him so I can learn from this experience.