Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Advice on shot placement.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Spike

Default Advice on shot placement.

Question for everyone here. I shot a buck tonight and since it was so close to dark I backed out and am going to look in the morning. I am about 20 feet up and the deer was quartering slightly away at about 13 yards. I shoot a 3 blade rage. The shot looked to hit just behind the shoulder and a bit high....No full penetration. As soon as I hit him, he took off with his tail down and ran across the field (about 100 yards) into a pine stand. As he was running away I could see about half the arrow or maybe a little more sticking out of the entry side. As he entered the pine stand I may have heard him fall over but I'm not 100% sure.

Any help or advice would be great. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

If you didn't hit shoulder bone it sounds like you got at least one lung and maybe two depending on how deep and how wide the deer is. I'm gona bet since you didn't push him you will find him in that pine thicket at first light. We want pics!
Old 09-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

BTW, tail down is a good sign.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Spike

Sounds fairly promising based on the info given. Good Luck in the morning.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

I bet hes laying just inside the pines. Ive knocked two in the dirt this year so far with the rage heads. I am a believer thus far. Both of mine were within 100 yards of the shot. Good lluck tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Spike

Thanks for sharing. It's great
Old 09-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sprintflyer
If you didn't hit shoulder bone it sounds like you got at least one lung and maybe two depending on how deep and how wide the deer is. I'm gona bet since you didn't push him you will find him in that pine thicket at first light. We want pics!
What the chance of recovery with one lung hit, and how far will he go? Another thing, after giving him some time I did walk into the thicket HOPING I would find him since I thought I head him crash. I hope that doesn't end up hurting me in the long run, but I didn't hear anything get up and run off when I was walking through some of it and it was dead silent. No wind.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Patrick Eubanks
I bet hes laying just inside the pines. Ive knocked two in the dirt this year so far with the rage heads. I am a believer thus far. Both of mine were within 100 yards of the shot. Good lluck tomorrow.
I did walk around a little in the beginning of the pines to see if I could find him before deciding on backing out and trying in the morning. I didn't find him or any sign of blood and never heard anything get up.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it was a lung shot with no full penatration blood will be running up through his mouth and nose. Being dark it would be hard to find but
in light you will see it.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

No blood? Sometimes with a high hit you won't get much blood on the ground for several yards. Don't push him! Give it till morning. If you got one lung it most likley is fatal but not unheard of to go couple hundred yards. If you find blood it should be brite red and full of bubbles if it's a lung hit. Bubbles will be gone by morning and blood a little darker. Real dark and foul smelling is a gut hit but if it was quartering away and just behind the shoulder he's hit in the lung(s). Read the after the shot in Bowhunting forum if you haven't done so yet. Get ready for the longest sleepless night of your life. I had to back out once overnight but found him withing 75 yards of where I shot. Good luck and don't give up till you find him or are 101 percent sure it's a clean miss. Like I said, Dont push and he won't go far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.