Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how deer use scrapes?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Spike

Default how deer use scrapes?

I found this spot near the end of archery last year. It is located about 300 yards from the nearest field. Last year there were 3 scrapes about 1.5'X3' that were being used under a this tree. I seen several doe and buck lick the overhead branches, paw the ground and 1 doe uninate in these scrapes last season.
So I put out my trail camera on this area about 3 weeks ago even though there was very little sign the scrapes where being hit. After reviewing the camera today we had 340 pics. Just about every deer buck and doe (even a couple 3 or 4 year old buck) stops were one of the old scrapes were and sniffs the ground and moves on. No deer ever licked or rubbed any of the overhanging branches ,pawed the ground or urinated in the scrape . Camera is set to take a pic every 10 sec (up to 5pics). The scrape looked the same today as it did 18 days ago. Anyone ever seen this before? Do you think as the rut gets closer the scrapes will get openened up. It seems that many deer come to this spot from all directions and return from the way they came. Most use is just before dawn and about 1/2 hour before dark. Any thoughts????
Old 09-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Banned

A scrape is like a sign post for deer.
The sign tells the other deer the sex of the deer making the scrape, the physical condition of the deer making the scrape, even tells the other deer which deer made the scrape.

Scrapes only works in the prime of the rut when the deer are making a scrape to show the does - here I am girls, come and get it.
A scrape can often times be visited by a rival buck which will come and try to erase the previous owners scrape and cover it with his own scent and urine.

A scrape is not a permanent sign and the deer will make new scrapes every year in different spots - so just knowing where one was at last year is not good enough to be a spot where you hang your camera's this year. In Pennsylvania, deer will not start to make scrapes or visit them until the rut which will probably be in about 4 or 5 more weeks.

The rut is determined by the phase of the moon and the time of the year and the menstrual cycle of the does in the herd in the area.
When you have many does and many bucks, you will see many scrapes.
When you have many does and very few bucks, you will see very few scrapes. When you have many bucks and very few does - you will have very few scrapes and the bucks will travel in bachelor groups.

When the rut is over, it is nothing to see 3 or 4 bucks traveling together.

A doe if not impregnated, will come in heat again the next month and continue to come in heat until a receptive buck comes and mates her. So even if you shoot a nice buck, that does not guarantee you that he has or had not yet spread his generic's.