Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Advice on shot placement.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know where he lives or temp myself.He did shoot it at dark so things will be cooling off.Where I live it cold at night already near zero. If he recovered it first thing in the morn it may still be good.He could live in Pacific Time like I do, so it's just 2:00pm where as it close to 5:00 almost dinner time in the Eastern Time Zone.Reguardless, I'm sure he found it.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
I think that someone here does not have a lot of experience hunting deer and wants us to look into our crystal balls and tell him where that deer is at and if he killed it or not.

My guess is that if he got it, he should have stayed in that spot for a hour and then went to look for it. If it was hit in the lungs - it might go 300 yards max.

If you hit it in the guts - it will probably suffer a long slow death.

That is the one thing that I hate about archery hunting, those guys with stick n string that goes out and wounds a bunch of nice deer.
Then when rifle season rolls around, you find nice bucks laying dead in some old grapevines - where no one thought of looking for him.
Or shooting a nice trophy buck and when you go to gut him out, he is all full of puss from a arrow that has been sticking in his guts for the past 4 weeks.

Where I live at, my opinion is that they ought to put archery season after rifle season.
A shear hunting genius right here. I will tell you for a fact that I have ran across more dead deer with slug holes in them than arrow wounds. Also, I would like to see the deer that lived with an arrow in its "guts" for 4 weeks.

Keep up the good work, Mr. Deer Hunter.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Spike

Unhappy

Well guys, I looked all day yesterday and nothing. No deer and no blood, and no arrow either. I did a grid search of that whole pine stand where he ran into, and some of the hardwoods next to it. I'm wondering if my shot was a bit more forward than I thought and hit the shoulder blade? Or even in-between the blade and spine and missed the lungs entirely? If that happened, is that still a fatal hit with the arrow in him? Just really anxious right now and not sure where to turn or what to do. Love to go back out and look some more but not sure where to start. From where I shot him to the back end of that pine stand has to be almost 7 or 800 yards.

Thanks for all the advice so far.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
I think that someone here does not have a lot of experience hunting deer and wants us to look into our crystal balls and tell him where that deer is at and if he killed it or not.

My guess is that if he got it, he should have stayed in that spot for a hour and then went to look for it. If it was hit in the lungs - it might go 300 yards max.

If you hit it in the guts - it will probably suffer a long slow death.

That is the one thing that I hate about archery hunting, those guys with stick n string that goes out and wounds a bunch of nice deer.
Then when rifle season rolls around, you find nice bucks laying dead in some old grapevines - where no one thought of looking for him.
Or shooting a nice trophy buck and when you go to gut him out, he is all full of puss from a arrow that has been sticking in his guts for the past 4 weeks.

Where I live at, my opinion is that they ought to put archery season after rifle season.
Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm a seasoned deer hunter. I've been hunting deer 21 years with the bow and gun. I've shot a lot of deer...and have lost two in that span. One with a gun and one with a bow. I came on here to get some advice on what other hunters think...You can never stop learning. I'm sorry to hear that you don't have any more room in your noggin for education.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buckhunter21
Well guys, I looked all day yesterday and nothing. No deer and no blood, and no arrow either. I did a grid search of that whole pine stand where he ran into, and some of the hardwoods next to it. I'm wondering if my shot was a bit more forward than I thought and hit the shoulder blade? Or even in-between the blade and spine and missed the lungs entirely? If that happened, is that still a fatal hit with the arrow in him? Just really anxious right now and not sure where to turn or what to do. Love to go back out and look some more but not sure where to start. From where I shot him to the back end of that pine stand has to be almost 7 or 800 yards.

Thanks for all the advice so far.
usually, when we go back and get the blood dog, the deer are about 20-40 yards from where we stopped searching.
no blood because you were in the air and hit him high?
the cavity could have just been filling up, and he didnt dump blood fer awhile..
im sure you tracked up the whole area already?
look in the creeks and the thickets?
most any dog will take you to a dead deer.... so i heard..take fido with you
Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Spike

well we didn't find any blood at all, i imagine since there wasn't full penetration and the shot was high. i just found out that i know of a guy that has a dog that tracks deer, but not sure how that would work with no blood and it's raining a bit here today. we did a pretty exhaustive search yesterday. does anyone here have experience with tracking dogs and if they would still work with no blood, and with rain after the hit?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Having a blood dog, i can tell you its 50/50..just depends on how much water vs how much blood
IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER, YOU NEED TO GET OUT AND FIND THAT DEER
Old 09-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you hit him you should find blood. If you went between the shoulder blade and the spine you got lungs. If you look at the anatomy of a deer the top of the longs connects with a lining to the spine. There is no "void". There is some clue out there at the point of impact. You have to find it. The last buck I shot I found exactly 2 drops of blood in a 150 yards. I went off of tracks and other clues and found him piled up. You can do it. Go find him.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

If you know you hit him, you should find some hair, start at this point. Bring toilet paper with you and mark the POI and go from there. Do a circular search from POI until you find the deer or the arrow. He had to of bedded down at night so you should find a large patch of blood where he bed.

Don't give up just yet. It took me three days to find a deer a few years back. It was spoiled by the time I found him but I never gave up, you owe it to the animal to keep looking. If you saw the arrow in him as he fled, then he is hit and you need to keep after it. It is exhausting and frustrating but the reward is great when you find him. Read the After the shot sticky in the bowhunting forum, it has great information.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well if it is dead crows and magpies will be on it pretty quick.
Look for a murder of crows.Murder is the term used for a flock of crows in case anyone is wondering what that means.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.