Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Advice on shot placement.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

That deer is dead and was probably dead when you looked for it.

I'm all for waiting until the next morning. You're just stumbling around in the dark when you search that night. And, if you think the shot was questionable, you sure don't want to push it in the dark.

I know it's warm this time of year, so it's a tough call.

You'll find it tomorrow. Hopefully before the coyotes. Bring a dog.....he'll find it in 5 minutes.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree.I'm exited to see some pics.It's 8:00 am pacific time in British Columbia he's probably got it hung and hide off by now, ready to take to a cooler.I'm sure the deer itself and the meat will be o.k.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 09-19-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

right, good job backing out, most guys woulda just pushed...hopefully the yotes didnt find him. post some pics, or at least an update.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Banned

I think that someone here does not have a lot of experience hunting deer and wants us to look into our crystal balls and tell him where that deer is at and if he killed it or not.

My guess is that if he got it, he should have stayed in that spot for a hour and then went to look for it. If it was hit in the lungs - it might go 300 yards max.

If you hit it in the guts - it will probably suffer a long slow death.

That is the one thing that I hate about archery hunting, those guys with stick n string that goes out and wounds a bunch of nice deer.
Then when rifle season rolls around, you find nice bucks laying dead in some old grapevines - where no one thought of looking for him.
Or shooting a nice trophy buck and when you go to gut him out, he is all full of puss from a arrow that has been sticking in his guts for the past 4 weeks.

Where I live at, my opinion is that they ought to put archery season after rifle season.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

waiting to see pics. i bet he got him
Old 09-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
I think that someone here does not have a lot of experience hunting deer and wants us to look into our crystal balls and tell him where that deer is at and if he killed it or not.

My guess is that if he got it, he should have stayed in that spot for a hour and then went to look for it. If it was hit in the lungs - it might go 300 yards max.

That is the one thing that I hate about archery hunting, those guys with stick n string that goes out and wounds a bunch of nice deer.
Then when rifle season rolls around, you find nice bucks laying dead in some old grapevines - where no one thought of looking for him.
Or shooting a nice trophy buck and when you go to gut him out, he is all full of puss from a arrow that has been sticking in his guts for the past 4 weeks.

Where I live at, my opinion is that they ought to put archery season after rifle season.
in some cases, but he was there, he did the right thing, we learn from our experiences, i am bettin he isnt online cause he is having fun, after finding his buck <fingers crossed>
Old 09-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter

It has nothing to do with hunting with a bow and arrow, it is just as effective as a rifle at close range if you put it where it needs to be..I've seen many deer lost during the firearm season because of poor shot placement..Found dead deer with slug holes in them, and I can honestly say I have never found one with an arrow in them (not saying that doesn't happen), but it goes both ways
Old 09-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

P.S. from the sound of it, you'll get to put the tag on your buck
Old 09-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

Update????
Old 09-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kateraxl2381
It has nothing to do with hunting with a bow and arrow, it is just as effective as a rifle at close range if you put it where it needs to be..I've seen many deer lost during the firearm season because of poor shot placement..Found dead deer with slug holes in them, and I can honestly say I have never found one with an arrow in them (not saying that doesn't happen), but it goes both ways
I believe that more deer are wounded and lost by gun hunters by far over archery. I gun hunt and bow hunt so I'm not biased either way. Gun hunters tend to shoot too far and at running deer. Also many bow injuries will recover where as gun injuries will not.

Also in warm weather I will take up the trail after a couple hours rather than waiting all night. If I wait all night it will be ruined anyway and the yotes will without a doubt eat it in my area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.