Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can a guide do to much???

Old 01-25-2002, 10:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Can a guide do to much???

I was watching a show last night where they were hunting Mulies in Montana. Well this father was taking his son on this guided hunt for his first hunt, what got me was basically they cruised along in the guides truck until they spotted some bucks in the distance, then the guide would tell the kid to follow right behind me, which he did, they go along using the rolling terrain to get closer to the bucks. Then when they are getting close to having a shot the guide tells the kid to chamber a round and make sure the safety is on. The guide eases up to the top of the hill and motions the kid forward as he (the guide) holds a shooting stick up for the kid to rest his gun on. Well if I recall correctly the kid takes a shot at this buck which is bedded down at about 200 yards and misses!!! The buck jumps up and runs uphill about 30 yards and turns broadside and stops, the guide tells the kid to shoot again, which he does and drops this big 4X4 mulie!

First let me say that I though the emphasis on safety was great and I thought the kid was very well behaved and followed every instruction given to a tee and obviously knew how to shoot, I think he blew that first shot due to buck fever. What kind of bothered me was this kid really learned nothing about hunting, the guide did it all. I have no problem with guided hunts, I mean if you want to hunt Mulies or Elk and live on the east coast unless you have access to land out west and have 3-4 weeks to take off work to do your scouting and hunting you have to have a guide, I just thought that this guide went overboard, basically he did everything for this kid but aim the gun and pull the trigger. Am I being a little silly about this or should a guide do everything but aim and pull the trigger?

The Tazman
Old 01-25-2002, 11:26 AM

Default RE: Can a guide do to much???

I believe they can. I have seen some shows where the guide just tells the person the stand sites, lets the hunter pick the one he wants, drops him off, then comes back each night to pick him up, but I have seen guided hunt shows like the one you described. I do think that it is a little much.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
P.S. Only Chuck Adams can sit at home and see deer so get into the woods. =;^)
Old 01-25-2002, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I suppose you could say the guide did everything but shoot but if this was the kids first time How much imput do you think he could have given .Do you think he should have been giving the directions . Everyone has to learn and the next time the kid will know more about what is going on .But the first time no way .
Old 01-25-2002, 11:56 AM

I watch alot of the outdoor channels,when I am not on here,and even the older hunters,I have seen follow right behind the guide.The guide then spots the deer,Elk,sheep,what ever and he uses a shooting stick or rock and shoots it.
I may not see that as my type of hunting,but that is what the guide is paid for.
I do see your point, that a young hunter may think that this is how it is done when on his own.But it is typical of the guided hunts I have seen.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess what bugged me, but then again it could have been edited out was that the guide gave no explanation to the kid of why they where doing what they were doing, nor did he explain the habits of the deer and how he knew they would be where they were, but once again this may have been edited out. The one thing I really liked about this show was how safety consious they were.

The Tazman
Old 01-25-2002, 12:24 PM

Tazman,If they were that safety concious,then that is alot better then some of the hunters here.I have seen fathers hand their sons guns they know nothing about,including how the safety works,and wants them to shoot a deer.I say safety first,then learn how and where to get the deer.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:49 PM

He can do too much or he can do opposite and
take your money and do too little. I would
prefer he did too much. Sure I know how to
hunt but the guide is getting paid to show
you the game you want to hunt. You do your
part by getting in shape, getting good equipment, practice shooting. If you both
do your parts it is a win/win situation.
I'd rather not have a guide but he can
provide your transportation in the backcountry and get your game out if you are
successful. If you are hunting dangerous game, he can save your life! I say thank God
for guides.
Old 01-25-2002, 04:03 PM

EXACTLY
I am now 14 and started hunting at 12... The legal age for wisconsin. But even before that i was out with the camcorder and amcording deer.
I have shot a HUGE longbeard my first yr. and i have it all on tape. I don't think that the guide is helping any by doing that..... I MEAN CMON THEY ARE DRIVING AND THEY SPOT A BUCK!!! JESE! Who actually hunts like that? don't people go out in the woods anymore.??

Just think about it.... The so called professional hunters on t.v. Bill jordan/ all of em accept 20% hunt axactly how that kid hunted. Tthe guide did everything accept shOoT~!!!!!
So next time u see the big cheese.." bill" think about how easy that was for that lil kid shooting that buck.... practiaccly the same.
BRANDON WISCONSIN

" If experience teaches us anything, it is that is that succes requires practice."
Old 01-26-2002, 07:52 AM

Brandon,

HOw many guided hunts have you been on? Do you actually know exactly what goes on on a guided hunt, or are you just going by what others say, keep in mind that what is videoed is less than 10% of what goes on the entire trip. At most outfitters, when you first arrive, you have a few hours in being briefed by the guide on where your going to hunt, why your going to do this, what you are looking for and so on and so on. I go on an average of 13 guided hunts a year on camera and its nothing like you think it is. Something I have learned and is true, when you go on a hunt, you never guide the guide, you'll find that if you do 9 times out of 10 you aren't successful or asked not to come back.

Chris
Old 01-26-2002, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Brandon, Didn't you post yesterday that you are an anti and have never hunted?