Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

winter kill

Old 01-24-2002, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default winter kill

Will there be one this year???
Its almost T'shirt weather up here (Ontario), our snowplows and salters are sitting around with nothing to do, and shoots keep popping up in peoples gardens.
Will this frakishly mild winter (so far) make for much better deer hunting next fall???
Hows everone elses winter. Up here the only people complaining are the ski and ice fishing operators.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:19 PM

Default RE: winter kill

It seems to be extremely warm here in PA too.
Old 01-24-2002, 05:00 PM

Weather here in Miss is unseasonably warm too. And wet. You start out in the morning in 20+ temps and come in mid-day at 60+. It's been warm enough here that the deer don't seem to want to move.
Old 01-24-2002, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have had a lot more rain this year and some snow but it hasn't been a rough year so far ,Just wet .If this pattern continues it should be a good year for the deer . Last year was very mild and we did see a lot higher fawn survival.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:31 PM

it should be light up here in wisconsin? we have very little snow and very mild temps
Old 01-24-2002, 11:29 PM

Yeah, it has been VERY easy on deer this year, and probablly the last five or six years. We have got hardly any snow at all in the past several years and the deer herd is really helped out in my area. We don't have a lack of food so the herd grew large, the bucks have huge racks, and all the deer have PLENTY of food. It is awsome, I just hope that we don't get a bad winter anytime soon because it could really mess up the herd.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
P.S. Only Chuck Adams can sit at home and see deer so get into the woods. =;^)
Old 01-25-2002, 05:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

It has been very warm here in Va. It was in the 60's yesterday and is suppose to stay pretty warm for a good while. The deer herd has been growing by leaps and bounds, my only worry is when we do get a hard winter there are going to be so many deer that the winter kill off will be huge.

The Tazman
Old 01-25-2002, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Unseasonably Mild, Last year we had close to 300 inches of snow - this year, I bet we can't have more than 50 inches. Temps have been very mild. Since 95 we've had three big killer winters and in the nothern snow belt it has taken its toll on the numbers - we can use a break.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:52 AM

It is a mild winter here in most parts of Pa this year.We have had temp. around the middle to upper 40's and some days in the low 50's.Tues It is to be around 54 for a high.I am glad to see wild life get a break in winter.I only wish we would get snow for deer season, then it can go away.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very little snow here, and the temps for the most part have been above normal. The deer seem to be doing very well...but they deserve it after the high deer mortality suffered last winter.

Quick Reply: winter kill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.