Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunts/Outfitters
 GUIDE TO GUIDE QUESTION >

GUIDE TO GUIDE QUESTION

Community
Hunts/Outfitters Find your next hunt or outfitter here. Outfitters and Commercial hunts are welcome.

GUIDE TO GUIDE QUESTION

Old 04-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default GUIDE TO GUIDE QUESTION

in an effort to help keep my spending down, i am trying to find ways to keep people from out leasing me on the land i guide them. i am not willing to raise my prices to keep group hunters from out leasing. i have heard of an elk outfitter using a contract that all hunters sign before hunting. it stated that you can't hunt within 5 miles or come in contact with any of the farmers in the area for a number of years without me as a guide. is there anyone who has a blueprint for this contract or knows if it is possible that the contract can be legal.

any help or similar ideas would be appreciated.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GUIDE TO GUIDE QUESTION

I don't know anything about that contract but I know this is becoming a common problem.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeeze, You would never get me to sign something like that! I lease (competitively) and use guides. If your that worried, get the landowner to sign a document, not your clients. We are looking for bargains and good ground same as you!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

I hunted with a guy in your state that had us sign a similar agreement. I have no problem with a guy wanting to protect his territory.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

BUCK HUNTER 1: i don't mind if you don't like this kind of contract, all you have to do is call up the next guide and you can try to steal his land if you want.

ifnobodyknows anything about this contract i will talk to a lawyer and see about getting one written up. if anyone wants to go in with me on this to pay the lawyer, i will do the leg work to get it made and have a pdf. sent.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:46 AM

In this business there is going to be allot of competition. People try to save money on hunting trips while others don't care, they just want a good hunt. Concentrate your efforts on those that are willing to pay a fair price for a great hunt. Always advertise exactly what you have to offer and explain it clearly, so there are no misunderstandings.
Contracts are something that you must use in your business. It is no longer feasable to do things on a handshake with Joe Blow comming behind you with an extra $1 per acre.
Your first attention should be to the landowners you are leasing from. A solid contract between you and them keeeping the land for 3-5 years with a option for 3-5 more at the end. This will protect all your hard work and land improvements. Besides, landowners have something to loose if they break a contract. I strongly caution against year to year leases

I don't know how much people would like to sign a non-competion contract to go hunting with you. If this is something you decide to do. I would suggest that you send them a copy of it when they decide to book a trip with you.Surprises at the hunting camp is never good.

You shouldhowever, have a release and rules that hunters must sign. That will keep you andthe landownerfrom being sued foraccidents. Also your liability insurance provider would like it as well.
If you are a booking agent i would suggest you come up with a contract that your outfitters sign. Protecting you and your advertising money spent on the groups you place in their camp. My standard contract for this is signed by both parties and stipulates on a set commision along with a returning guest policy.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

try a long term lease with your landowners....works
Old 05-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

thank you "coloradoutdoors1". we have been doing great this year, previously we only went by word of mouth having only 4 or 5 hunts per year. this year we caught some contacts on the internet and things have exploded with people who heard about the hunts. we are now booked full time next year and we need to do some serious changes to get contracts wrote up and lock down some more land so that it doesn't get taken.