Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Butchering deer for xtra cash? >

Butchering deer for xtra cash?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Butchering deer for xtra cash?

Old 11-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Steve863
I am not calling them non hunters just incomplete hunters. Out of all the occupations and pursuits out there for man throughout history, hunters and farmers have been the ones who have been known as providers of food to mankind. A farmer that raises animals or crops knows how to bring what he grows to the table. I can't say that the same for many hunters who like the killing part, but the rest they don't seem to have any interest in.
As a farmer who raises choice beef, am I a knucklehead because I choose not to butcher my product (Beef)???????? As a Hunter, I choose not to butcher my venison, does that make me a knucklehead? I think not! To each his own!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeez, Some of you guys sound like were talking about attempting to do your own full body mounts I dont know what people think is so complicated about butchering game? if you can peel an orange, you can skin a deer w/ just a little more effort, the shoulders basically pull off, the HQs take a few good wacks and if you can carve a turkey, you can remove the backstraps and the scraps. You dont need a garage, or any fancy equipment either, heck I use to do it in a tiny apt in the bronx, back in the day. all you need is a kitchen table, a decent knife and sharpening steel, and some bags, you can get a 100$ meat grinder anywhere, Ive had mine for years. Its is alot of work but I get alot of enjoyment and satisfaction from it.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Spike

The farmer grows it, cuts it down and prepares it so people can make food out of it or that others might utilize it in making other edible or non-edible product. They surely don't need to cook it just like the hunter may not need to cook it themselves if they give the meat away to someone.
So does this mean I can expect the farmer to start shucking my sweet corn for me when I buy if from them in the summer? That would be part of the whole process of preparing a crop to be an edible product.

Once the deer is put down, the story isn't over. Too many hunters like the cutting down part, but could care less in learning the next step. That is all I am trying to say here. I surely won't convince anyone to start processing their own deer if they have no desire to do so. I can only tell them that they are not participating in the complete process of what hunting is and always was.
Actually Native Americans (the original hunters) would typically have the men (hunters) kill the game and then bring it back to their women who would butcher and cook the game. So your comment about what huntin always was in completely inaccurate. The original hunters outsourced their butchering to others. Are you saying you are more of a hunter than the old native americans?
Old 11-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deerchump

Native Americans (the original hunters)
I believe humans hunted and ate meat many thousands of years before "native americans" crossed into north america through the bering straights.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

This whole thread is assinine.

I shoot 5-6 deer per year (used to be even more) for population control and feeding multiple families. I hunt 1.5-3 hours from where I live depending on the spot. All of this I must accomplish in about 8-10 hours in the field each year which is what I can get from my family given everything else involved.

Good for you that you have no job to go back to on Monday and can get that deer processed before the heat gets it.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by spaniel
This whole thread is assinine.

I shoot 5-6 deer per year (used to be even more) for population control and feeding multiple families. I hunt 1.5-3 hours from where I live depending on the spot. All of this I must accomplish in about 8-10 hours in the field each year which is what I can get from my family given everything else involved.

Good for you that you have no job to go back to on Monday and can get that deer processed before the heat gets it.
Actually the thread was supposed to be about any possible experiences butchering deer as a side job, then it morphed into tax collection, indians and ATVs but please tell me whats "asinine' about doing your own butchering, and why you think its only for the unemployed? FYI I work 6 days a week and find plenty of time to hunt, do household chores, and butcher my own deer, and probably a few others which is why I asked in the 1st place.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by nysmoker
Im just not interested in sombody out side of my wife or i handling my meat...
That's good, that's what you commit to when you get married. Only you and your wife should be handling your meat. lol
Old 11-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BossmanPA
That's good, that's what you commit to when you get married. Only you and your wife should be handling your meat. lol

I don't care who you are..dat right ther was funny...
Old 11-11-2009, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deerchump
Actually Native Americans (the original hunters) would typically have the men (hunters) kill the game and then bring it back to their women who would butcher and cook the game. So your comment about what huntin always was in completely inaccurate. The original hunters outsourced their butchering to others. Are you saying you are more of a hunter than the old native americans?

So are you telling us that the native American hunter would have no clue on how to skin and butcher the animal he shot since the women would typically do it?? They surely WOULD know how. On the other hand some of you hunters who have hunted up to 20 years without skinning and butchering a deer might not. I find it laughable and unbelievable that someone would hunt this long without ever processing a deer themselves. Heck it don't even take a garage to get the job done. One could skin a deer from a tree in the woods next to where you parked your truck. You can then quarter it and take it home and the rest could be done on your kitchen table. You guys are coming up with lots of excuses, but those of us who have done it ourselves are not buying them!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hahahah.
Beating the dead horse here Steve. I butcher my own so i am one of those who has done it himself BUT i'm buying some of the excuses.
Just because i want to to it and like to do it doesnt mean that someone else has the same feeling about it, nor do i feel they are less of a hunter

FYI, I was a butcher back in the 80's. (gosh that was a long time ago) . So the transition going from using a processor to doing it on my own was pretty simple.

I was actually born and raised in Bethpage on Long Island NY. Started hunting 5-6 years ago here in WV. I didn't process my own because my wife and 1 daughter absolutly didn't want to have anything to do with seeing a deer hanging in the garage. Fortunately, they have come around

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.