HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Butchering deer for xtra cash? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/309218-butchering-deer-xtra-cash.html)

DeerandbearhoG 11-06-2009 12:31 PM

Butchering deer for xtra cash?

Anyone ever butcher other people deer for x tra cash? What are the pros/and cons? Is it legal to do this at your house?

Champlain Islander 11-06-2009 12:46 PM

Lots of people do it around here and everything is cash so the state doesn't get involved. I just do my own animals though. The going rate here is about $70.

DannyD 11-06-2009 01:09 PM

they get $50 around here. That includes all meat being shrinkwrapped

timbercruiser 11-06-2009 01:31 PM

I was using a business in south Bama for a long time, but it seems every year the price gets higher. If you go for smoked sausage it really gets high, something like $125 a deer. They do good work tho, I think last year they processed around 2100 deer.

DeerandbearhoG 11-06-2009 02:41 PM

im gonna charge 50$ skinned,quartered, w/ backstraps and scrap meat boned out. 100$ completely boned out, bagged and labeled, and 50$ for scraps ground into burger, what do you think? most places around here get 125$ just boned out meat w/ basic cuts. some even requrie it pre skinned and the turn around is a couple weeks. any deer I take is gonna be back in 2 days.

vabyrd 11-06-2009 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG (Post 3497590)
im gonna charge 50$ skinned,quartered, w/ backstraps and scrap meat boned out. 100$ completely boned out, bagged and labeled, and 50$ for scraps ground into burger, what do you think? most places around here get 125$ just boned out meat w/ basic cuts. some even requrie it pre skinned and the turn around is a couple weeks. any deer I take is gonna be back in 2 days.

Get some Dexter-Russell boning knives. It's what your grocery store butcher uses. Great blades, high carbon, good edge, plus you can get a 6" boning knife for about $15 on ebay. Hats off to a fella taking the dirty work. Quite frankly nothing ticks me off more than a "hunter" (and I mean quote!) that won't learn how to process their own meat. I don't care what the excuse is, hunting is from scouting to the pan. Knuckheads will spend weeks tweaking a stupid load for their rifle, but won't educate themselves on how to make steaks, roasts, and loin. Maybe I'm nuts, but the best part of the hunt is when its all over and I'm sitting at a table with a glass of merlot, a piece of venison, and good company. And for crying out loud, the guys that make jerky out of everything....What??

It's a shame that most posts are about the best caliber and scores rather than the real reason for hunting.

SyPTo 11-06-2009 03:44 PM

turn around at my local is about 7 days... and costs me 85 bucks for basic cuts (50 if you skin and gut it yourself) (steak,burger,cube steak and roast) sausage is 30 bucks for aprox 20 pounds.

he hangs them 5 days in the cooler before cutting them up , then packages them in freezer paper , labels them and then puts it in a meat box and in the freezer for a day , so when i go get it it's solid froze..

i do process them myself when i have time , but sometimes i'm just out of time and have to bring them away..

teedub31 11-06-2009 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 3497504)
Lots of people do it around here and everything is cash so the state doesn't get involved. I just do my own animals though. The going rate here is about $70.

What does "Cash" have to do with it. The butcher still has to report it on his taxes unless he wants to be a crook. I have always laughed at the whole "Cash" argument as an excuse for tax evasion.

driftrider 11-06-2009 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by vabyrd (Post 3497660)
Get some Dexter-Russell boning knives. It's what your grocery store butcher uses. Great blades, high carbon, good edge, plus you can get a 6" boning knife for about $15 on ebay. Hats off to a fella taking the dirty work. Quite frankly nothing ticks me off more than a "hunter" (and I mean quote!) that won't learn how to process their own meat. I don't care what the excuse is, hunting is from scouting to the pan. Knuckheads will spend weeks tweaking a stupid load for their rifle, but won't educate themselves on how to make steaks, roasts, and loin. Maybe I'm nuts, but the best part of the hunt is when its all over and I'm sitting at a table with a glass of merlot, a piece of venison, and good company. And for crying out loud, the guys that make jerky out of everything....What??

It's a shame that most posts are about the best caliber and scores rather than the real reason for hunting.

So if a guy lacks the equipment and space to properly butcher a deer and process it the way they like it, then they're not a real hunter? Sure, whatever you say... I've done it before, but I prefer to just spend the money for the conveinience of having someone else dirty their kitchen. And what if jerky is what someone likes? What difference does it make to you if a guy prefers to drink beer and gnaw on venison jerky rather than sip wine he doesn't like and eat a venison steak that he doesn't like either? I guess I'll just be less of a hunter, then, because me and my family prefer venison summer sausage to tough gamey round steaks.

Mike

nromaker 11-06-2009 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by vabyrd (Post 3497660)

Your absolutley correct and a good fillet knife heps for getting those roasts out. Just finished cutting one up 15 minutes ago