Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Suggestions

Old 09-28-2009, 05:58 AM
Spike

Default Suggestions

Hey guys been hunting a new stand location and have been seeing plenty of action. Saturday seen 17 deer with the majority being bucks. I think out of 17 we saw 6 does and 11 bucks. The only problem the bucks are spikes and cowhorns and I'm not shooting future bigger bucks. I know this means there is a bigger buck in the area. Anyway I'm asking for suggestions on something I've been observing. I saw a cowhorn chasing a doe Saturday. There are big bucks in my area that I have seen, but was wondering should I shoot this cowhorn or let him keep walking. I am not all familiar with genetics, but am thinking you want your bigger bucks breeding the does, not the young bucks. Suggestions are welcom.
One more thing, being I am noticing some pre-rut activity, what types of things could I do to get that big buck in? Like I said I just took up still hunting 4 years ago. Have killed some bucks doing it, just would like to know if there are any grunts, scents or maybe horn action I could do in the pre-rut to get some bigger bucks coming.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

maybe try light rattling with some horns, make it seem like some small bucks sparring. it might bring a shooter out thinking some smaller bucks are in his terrioty. do u have any trail cameras? maybe make a mock scrape and put the camera near it and see what u got.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would just stay on the does. The big bucks will eventually show themselves when the rut goes into full swing.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:08 AM
Spike

No trail cameras, not enough dough. Wish I had some though would make things easier. Seen some nice bucks around seems like in bow season they are too far, black powder to far and rifle you never see them. I saw a 10 pt early this season with a inside spread around 18-20 inches, an 8 pt w/a 14-16 inch inside spread and another 8 pt that is about 15-16 inches tall but around 12 inches inside. Those are the nicer bucks that I have seen with my eyes on the land that I hunt. There are smaller bucks but I try to shoot only the mature bucks/messed up bucks. Also take out a few does. I will try your suggestions. Appreciate it.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Spike

I figured that since I had a lot of does I could be in business. But how about all the young deer following and actually trying to breed these does? The does aren't willing and I hope they continue not willing for these little guys, but should I be concerned about these little guys?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I say let him go. Deer are not elk where the bull gets to corral or herd them for his harem. It's also a myth to think only the dominant buck gets to breed within a certain range. Several lesser bucks get to breed as well.

Also you will see several of the lesser younger bucks trying to breed first. IMO the big bucks start a little later when the does are actually ready. Besides, if you shoot that cowhorn buck chasing a doe, what are you going to do about the other 10 bucks you saw that night along with the many others you didn't see?

If you are big buck hunting, just be persistent and put your time in. Eventually you'll get your chance. Don't **** it up. LOL! Anyway, sounds like you had a great time out there. It's been ages since I saw that many deer from one evening's hunt. Be thankful.

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 09-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buckshot32182
I figured that since I had a lot of does I could be in business. But how about all the young deer following and actually trying to breed these does? The does aren't willing and I hope they continue not willing for these little guys, but should I be concerned about these little guys?
Personally, I wouldn't be. There's always going to be younger bucks no matter what. They have to start somewhere. I wouldn't cull them unless they're 3+ years old and still not showing signs of potential. If you kill off all the younger ones out of fear that they'll breed the does before the mature bucks can, then you won't have that many bucks in the future. Just let nature take it's course as far as mating is concerned. The larger bucks will run the majority of the younger ones off once the does go into estrus.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Spike

Appreciate it guys. That is coming shortly though. I have always been told that near the harvest moon and a change in temperature can get the big bucks going. That is great b/c the harvest moon is Sunday and we are expecting temperatures that are in the upper 40's at night and 60's-70's during the day. This should start them up. I know last year the 9th of October is when I got a video of a 6 pt buck breed a doe. I can't wait. Another question. When using horns, calls and scents what order would you guys use. I had some luck at rattling in a 8 ptr last year, but haven't tried other things as much. I use scent killer and have some dominant buck urine and doe n heat ****, but don't really know the best way to use. The deer I have killed besides the 8 coming to horns have been just sitting and watching. I know you guys have to have some successful strategies at bringing that big buck out. Care to share?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm by no means a call expert but if you're going to rattle, I would try coordinating some grunts while you're rattling. I haven't found bleat-calls to work very well at all. Scents are kind of tricky. The very few times I have used scents, it seems the best way to place them is out in front of your location with the wind blowing cross ways of your location. If it's out in front of you and you're down wind, then the scent will be blowing past and behind you and if the bucks smells the scent, he'll smell you. But some say that's not really a big deal because bucks will sometimes ignore human scents during the rut. Same would go if you placed the scent out in front of you and you were up wind. That's just my opinion. Like I said, I'm no expert.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Buckshot it is hard to believe that you all are anywhere near to rut time down in N.C. I am in Va. and our rut does not really usually get going until the first or second week of Nov. and thats when our Black powder season starts. Usually this time of year we can still see bucks hanging out together and coming out into the fields during daylight hours. I have only seen a few rubs and no scrapes at all. Our archery season comes in on Sat. and I plan on sitting on a stand where I know some nice bucks have been coming out into the field to eat in the evening. As long as the wind is right, thats where I will be. Its a lot easier to pattern a buck at this time than later on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.