Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What are the 5 biggest hunting myths? >

What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Old 09-30-2009, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

#1 Myth: Hunters always agree with one another.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:57 AM
Spike

1. Hunters use bait.
2. The more expensive the equipment, the more chance for success.
3. Deer don't move in the rain.
4. Wild hogs are going to take over the planet.
5. Hunters use bait.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by elkoholic501
Rule of thumb...Your weapon of choice should be at least equal value to what you've got in the game... If your spending a couple of grand to hunt a WT or 5+ to hunt elk. You don't want to rely on a $400 POS rifle scope combo... good guns go up in value. If you don't have the cash, borrow the gun, that's what hunting buddies are for.
I have a Remington 700 ADL .30-06 I bought for less than $300 (maybel $289) at a grand opening of a Bass Pro Shop store. It shoots about 1.25" five shoot groups with commercial ammunition, and frankly I'm probably the limiting factor on that accuracy and not the rifle. I put a $450 Leupold VX-III scope on it. Total cost less than $800. I'm guessing that a serviceable scope could be had for half the Leupold price (but I like Leupolds and I DO think you get what you pay for in a scope), so you could easily have a rifle/scope combination that shoots .30-06 into 1.25" groups for less than $600. Other than a brown bear hunt or a grizzly hunt, for what hunt would this rifle/scope combination be less than suitable?

I guess, being charitable, the point is don't skimp on the rifle/scope combination when you are paying thousands for a hunt. At the same time, it would definitely be a point to argue that a rifle/scope combination that costs more than $1000 provides any -- ANY -- advantage for any hunting of deer, pronghorn, elk, sheep, mountain goat, moose, caribou versus a rifle/scope combination taht costs less than $1000 -- provided you don't spend your $1000 on a JUNK outfit. There are plenty of non-Junk outfits available for less than $1000 that would fit into this scenario. As far as the "ANY advantage" challenge, I would define this in terms of statistical probabilities. Sure, I suppose you might define a highly specified circumstance under which a higher cost outfit had an advantage, but if this circumstance happens in only 0.00001% of actual bonafide comparable hunts, I'm going to say that fails the test.

But other opinions may vary. False economy is to be avoided. There are cheap scopes that will fog internally, whose reticles break under recoil, and otherwise come apart and act unreliably. But on the other hand there are many, many suitable rifle/scope combinations that perform reliably and flawlessly that cost less than $1000.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hunters are just hunting to collect heads.

Some hunters are in it just to collect heads . . . or perhaps more precisely they measure their hunting success and organize and plan their hunts to optimize their collection of a head -- the bigger the rack the better (and heaven forbid the thought of taking a female). And that is OK with me, I guess. I'm not authorized to be the dictator of hunting aesthetics. But many hunters are in it for the rich complicated holistic experience of hunting and to obtain good game meat for eating.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
yes it does
How can it be easier if ya cant even use the damn thing(gun) in the season or places where the the most productive hunting is done?????????????????? Thats like saying a handgun that you cant carry with you, is a more effective self defense weapon, than a knife thats always in your pocket.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 09-30-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
How can it be easier if ya cant even use the damn thing(gun) in the season or places where the the most productive hunting is done?????????????????? Thats like saying a handgun that you cant carry with you, is a more effective self defense weapon, than a knife thats always in your pocket.

Thats asinine, how can we compare the two if one isnt allowed.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
Thats asinine, how can we compare the two if one isnt allowed.
Exactly!!! Now youre making my point for me, "one(a gun) isnt allowed" during the more productive season(bow season), so how can it be nessassrily easier to fill a tagg w/ the weapon that isnt allowed during the most productive time to hunt?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Myth: A .300 RUM is a "better" deer gun than a .308 Win.

Please tell them that recoil = flinching for everyone!

aint true, if you just except the fact ur gonna get ****d, then u wont flinch
Old 09-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dooittoit
Ok, I think your statement of gun hunting being harder than bowhunting is kind of crazy. Here is a scenario. What if you had the chance to either bring your bow or gun with you during rifle season. Which weapon would you choose? Just because the deer you've harvested with a gun were in bow range does not necesarilly mean you would have gotten them with a bow. Reason being you have the problem of drawing back without being noticed and then holding at full draw if the deer stops behind a tree, it's then that you get the shakes after a couple minutes. Also you cannot rest your bow on anything for a steadier shot. Also, sometimes the deer can "jump" the string.

i beleive that he/she whos says bow hunting is easier than gun huting has not been bow hunting, granite, we get 30 days of archery here, so we have a lil advantage as guns havnt been goin off like the 4th of july and the deer arnt as skitsh,

I am 100% positive that bow hunting is not easier than rifle hunting.... look in my freezer, 1 by bow and 3 by gun..easy to figure ot fer me,
i do like bowhuntin more, but a mans gotta eat!!!!!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Exactly!!! Now youre making my point for me, "one(a gun) isnt allowed" during the more productive season(bow season), so how can it be nessassrily easier to fill a tagg w/ the weapon that isnt allowed during the most productive time to hunt?

Your point is pointless, your arguments are opinions. Bow season may not be as productive, your assuming everyone sees more deer during bow season. Gun season deer move more because they are getting pushed by "all the hunters" that are in the woods. Look at this in an apples to apples scenario....which weapon is easier to kill a deer with.....A RIFLE. I spend a lot more time with a bow in my hand then with a rifle and I have shot more bucks with a rifle by far.
I also flyfish, and this argument is just the same as saying flyfishing is easier than spin fishing. It takes more skill, more practice and is more time consuming, just as bowhunting. I love to do both...but anyone that thinks bowhunting is easier than rifle hunting is not rationalizing what easier means. Seeing more deer doesn't mean easier because those deer need to be within 30 yards. Anyone ever do deer drives with archery equipment? That would be a challenge.

Last edited by earnabuck; 09-30-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.