Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What are the 5 biggest hunting myths? >

What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Old 09-29-2009, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

People think that hunters walk out to a pile of corn on the ground and shoot a deer.
Hunters are the biggest contributor to wildlife conservation over any other group. The work, effort, time and money spent in the woods making all kinds of critters healthier not just deer. I tell people I plant food plots and feed protien all year which benifits ALL the deer/animals in our area and if Im lucky I get to harvest only 1.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1shotkill1993
What the hell is your problem with crossbows.
He has no problem with crossbows. We are stating myths, remember? He's stating a myth about crossbows. I think you are wrong about food plots vs. feeders, but I'm not going to sit here and argue about it. We both have our opinions.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:34 AM
Spike

since i am kind of new to hunting and have been learning over the last few years of what is maybe more true than other here is my list of myths i have come up with.

myth 1
a $400 gun will kill a deer just as dead as a $5000 gun - first not everyone can afford a $5000 gun and if it is a new person on a forum like this it might turn them away if they are told that they need a $5000 gun to get started.

myth 2
camo is a mandatory thing to kill a deer - i dont have any proof but i bet as many deer are killed each year in jeans than in full camo

myth 3
cheap scopes dont work - they may not last a lifetime but they will usually last as long as you take care of them.

here are just a few i have come up with
Old 09-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by aharper33
since i am kind of new to hunting and have been learning over the last few years of what is maybe more true than other here is my list of myths i have come up with.

myth 1
a $400 gun will kill a deer just as dead as a $5000 gun - first not everyone can afford a $5000 gun and if it is a new person on a forum like this it might turn them away if they are told that they need a $5000 gun to get started.

myth 2
camo is a mandatory thing to kill a deer - i dont have any proof but i bet as many deer are killed each year in jeans than in full camo

myth 3
cheap scopes dont work - they may not last a lifetime but they will usually last as long as you take care of them.

here are just a few i have come up with
Not argueing w/ you Id just like to adress what is stated here.

1)I have never heard someone on this forum, or any other, claim or make an argument that you "need" a 5000$ anything, to kill a deer. In fact most positive gun reviews on this forum are for mossbergs, marlins, tikkas, H&R and savage.

2) I guarantee most hunters these days, wear some sort of camo even when theyre not hunting. Im sure it happens, but in all the years Ive hunted, Ive never seen anyone wearing blue jeans while hunting, and I live in NY. When I go to texas, the whole town walks around in camo clothes in july! Could you kill a deer wearing jeans and a carhart jacket? sure, but you better hope the deer dont get too close and its not raining, or below 40 degress

3) Whats a cheap scope? To some people its a 200$ scope,There are many decent scopes in the 100-200$ range that will hold up to heavy recoil, field abuse and give clear enough sight picture. to me, a cheap scope is one that comes in a plastic clam shell, has hot glued on emblems, flimsey adjustments, blurry wavey optics, and generally obvious poor quality. Putting a 30$ POS on a heavy recoiling 12 ga, or even a 3006 is just asking for trouble. A scope is too important a tool to skimp on, especially when a much better one can be had for 120$
Old 09-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by RugerM77.270
I am teaching a hunting/shooting class later this month at my churches annual men's advance and I thought I would tackle some hunting myths, so what would you guys say the top five hunting myths be?
That you need Camo clothing to hunt with!

That you need a commercial scent blocker to hunt with!

That the larger the caliber the less it deflects!

That the Barometer and hunting don't work!

That Eufula, Alabama is Deer Haven..............
Old 09-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

#1. Larger calibers and heavier bullets are better 'brush busters' than smaller, lighter bullets.

If it hits a twig/branch it's gonna go off line. Period.

#2. You should not kill does early in the season.

Kill 'em early and often to encourage competition for breeding. If the bucks have to look around, they will be more vulnerable.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have to spend as much money on a scope as the gun cost.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by spuddog
- you have to "bleed" a deer by cutting it's throat when you gut it.
Spud
You really should bleed all animals you plan to eat, problem is if their dead, cutting the throat will do nothing, and the usual high powered rifle through the lungs bleeds them pretty darn good.

Originally Posted by SWThomas
While it is true you can "kill" large animals with smaller rounds, they won't dispatch the animal as quick. I want my animals dead where they stand so I don't have to trail them or possibly lose them.

Really, tell that to the 22 deer and hogs I dropped on the spot from a .22 hornet.

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Wow 4 pages and no one mentioned the biggest hunting myth of all " BOWHUNTING IS HARDER THAN GUN HUNTING"
Bow hunting is harder than rifle hunting, thats a no brainer.

Originally Posted by 1shotkill1993
Wrong! Yes the two are put there for the same reason.

Food plots take work to put in and keep up. To me that is more ethical.

Feeder, or baiting....takes no handy work, time, or effort at all. Walk in the woods with a bucket of apples. Or put up a feeder and a stand in front of it. Thats just not right IMO
Your just plain wrong.
This year I have a food plot looking out the back window of my blind and a feeder looking out the front window. Theres no difference which window I shoot out of.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zrexpilot

Bow hunting is harder than rifle hunting, thats a no brainer.

I dont know why its so hard for people to understand that there are scenarios where bowhunting can be way more productive and even easier than hunting with a gun, and I gave several detailed reasons why bowhunting is not NECESSARILY harder than gun hunting in this thread,how about addressing those?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
I dont know why its so hard for people to understand that there are scenarios where bowhunting can be way more productive and even easier than hunting with a gun, and I gave several detailed reasons why bowhunting is not NECESSARILY harder than gun hunting in this thread,how about addressing those?
Ok, I think your statement of gun hunting being harder than bowhunting is kind of crazy. Here is a scenario. What if you had the chance to either bring your bow or gun with you during rifle season. Which weapon would you choose? Just because the deer you've harvested with a gun were in bow range does not necesarilly mean you would have gotten them with a bow. Reason being you have the problem of drawing back without being noticed and then holding at full draw if the deer stops behind a tree, it's then that you get the shakes after a couple minutes. Also you cannot rest your bow on anything for a steadier shot. Also, sometimes the deer can "jump" the string.

Quick Reply: What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.