Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What are the 5 biggest hunting myths? >

What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by aharper33
since i am kind of new to hunting and have been learning over the last few years of what is maybe more true than other here is my list of myths i have come up with.

myth 1
a $400 gun will kill a deer just as dead as a $5000 gun - first not everyone can afford a $5000 gun and if it is a new person on a forum like this it might turn them away if they are told that they need a $5000 gun to get started

myth 3
cheap scopes dont work - they may not last a lifetime but they will usually last as long as you take care of them.
Rule of thumb...Your weapon of choice should be at least equal value to what you've got in the game... If your spending a couple of grand to hunt a WT or 5+ to hunt elk. You don't want to rely on a $400 POS rifle scope combo... good guns go up in value. If you don't have the cash, borrow the gun, that's what hunting buddies are for.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by elkoholic501
Rule of thumb...Your weapon of choice should be at least equal value to what you've got in the game... If your spending a couple of grand to hunt a WT or 5+ to hunt elk. You don't want to rely on a $400 POS rifle scope combo... good guns go up in value. If you don't have the cash, borrow the gun, that's what hunting buddies are for.

Why? If a $400 rifle set up shoot lights out at shooters ethical kill range...the value of the set up don’t matter....it’s the confidence in the set that does.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elkoholic501

I am trying to figure out how to say this nice..... hmmmm...
Oh well cant figure it out.
This by far is the stupidest statement I have read on this site ever.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dooittoit
Ok, I think your statement of gun hunting being harder than bowhunting is kind of crazy...What if you had the chance to either bring your bow or gun with you during rifle season. Which weapon would you choose....you have the problem of drawing back without being noticed and then holding at full draw.... you cannot rest your bow on anything for a steadier shot....sometimes the deer can "jump" the string.
You guys keep missing the point You keep comparing the actual weapons themselves, to each other, and completey ignore the other factors that come into play. I never said a bow has as much effective range ,or is easier to shoot as a gun. I said gun hunting being eaiser than bowhunting is a myth, and heres why... again!!!!

1) In most states bow season takes place during the rut, IME the best chance of seeing a good buck during shooting hrs ,is during the rut.
2) At least where I live, you have alot more places to hunt w/ a bow, than with a gun.
3)There is way less hunting pressure during bow season, again providing more opportunity to see deer during hooting hours.

Those are pretty signifigant advantages ,no?

I also understand there are scenarios when hunting w/ a gun is certainly an advantage, but that doesnt mean that just because you can actually shoot farther, it automatically make the hunting itself easier, does it?

BTW I hunt and kill deer w/ bows and guns ,I just dont kid myself into thinking Im some sort of elite hunter, just cause I got a bow in my hand.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
just because you can actually shoot farther, it automatically make the hunting itself easier, does it?

yes it does
Old 09-30-2009, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Myth #1
There is a mysterious void the arrow can hit betwwen the lungs and spine.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

1. If your first shot lands where you aimed when checking your rifle's zero, you are sighted in and good to go.

2. That the average hunter can shoot and hit the vitals of a deer at 300 yards, or 200 yards even.

3. That your hunting partner is going to be waiting for you at the convenience store at 4:30 AM like he promised to begin your 2 hour drive to the duck marsh.

4. That the hunting was better in the good ol' days (some maybe, but most not).

5. That the butcher only threw away bad meat when he packaged your game (not my problem, but a complaint I've heard from others).
Old 09-30-2009, 04:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Someone else has already spoken of camo. While I grant that camo may provide an important advantage for bow hunters (because I'm not a bow hunter and am loathe to comment on activities I have no first hand experience with, and point out that the operative word in this phrase is "may"), I'm betting that camo does not provide a significant advantage to rifle hunters. My argument would be that a hunter dressed in blue jeans and a checked flannel shirt will take as many deer -- other things being equal -- if they (1) correctly attend to the wind in selecting their set-ups, (2) they place themselves in shadows, (3) they place themselves where brush conceals their feet and lower legs, (4) where back ground breaks up their outline, and (5) they remain still most of the time -- and, of course, (6) if they have selected a good set-up in the first place based on either advanced scouting and/or extensive knowledge of their hunting area and experience hunting there. I would also argue that making errors with respect to any one of wind and movement and not taking advantage of shadows will trump good camoflage clothes. It may be worth noting that several of these things comprise "natural" camoflage, if you will. Another point is that if parts of your body are concealed -- as behind brush or in a shadow -- the value of the camo is diminished because you could be painted day-glow yellow and it wouldn't matter, as the brush hides you or no light is available for seeing the day-glow object (we see objects from which light is reflected -- no light, no reflected light, no seeing). I guess my opinion is at least a little based on my customary manner of hunting deer -- finding a good spot based on my knowledge of an area and waiting for deer to come to me. This method allows a lot of control in terms of selecting the conditions I cataloged above. If I were still hunting for deer, it may be less possible to select these desirable conditions, and then camo may provide an advantage.

But that is just my opinion. Y'all are welcome to your opinion and your camo. I've got camo clothes, but I prefer to wear drab olive military surplus wool trousers and red checked wool shirt when I go to the woods to hunt.

Last edited by Alsatian; 09-30-2009 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Me a redneck!!!!!

Originally Posted by shottyhunter24
that all hunters are rednecks!!!!
I AM A REDNECK,I hunt every day of the season.And im from alabama!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2009, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Disagree completely. Reliable, functioning equipment is obviously vital to be sure, so you want the best you can afford. But there's a law of diminishing marginal returns involved. As long as you have equipment that works well and meets your needs, you're perfectly ok.

Quick Reply: What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.