Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help with scouting.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help with scouting.

Will with the season at an end I am starting to look foreword to next Oct open day. Now for some more hard work. Looking for scouting advice and topo help.My son and I went out today with an area I want tell look at.I do look at a place first with goggles earth to get a overhead view and then get GPS location to check out.

Question-1
If I find signs of deer in the area now would it be likely to see them there later in the season? saw a lot of poo today in a 1.5 mile walk.
Question-2
Rubs what can they tell you.(on trees)
What if you find a line of them? not much of a line but 2 along a good trail. might need to look a little harder at this area to find more, is it worth that.
Part A of question-2 will a buck return to the same area(trail) or rub line next season?
Question-3
I need some help with topo maps.
What makes a area appealing to deer movement based on topos.

Today we found these not to far back but I think someone else has been back there before I could just make out some marks on a few trees that could have been from a climbing stand.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help with scouting.

Alot of questions to answer there, I would but It would be real long. The honest best advice to give you to sum it up would bethe same things I would tell you are in this book by Greg Miller called Rub line Secrets, I highly recomend this book it will answer every question you asked. You can usually buy them on ebay or amazon used for pretty darn cheap. I did this and it was well worth it after reading his books I applied the knowledge the foolowing season and arrowed a 140" second night of the season.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

In wait of a few books to read, I have been looking on line for info. One question I have come up with is WHY DID I NOT FIND A SCRAPE we scouted to the end of it and back tracked to find it again and to see it lead to a wooded flat with a creek and oaks though it to deeper woods . I did not see any more rubs I will go back to this area to scout more but I am going to try to get there from another direction to see if it might work better if the wind is different. Thanks for your advice.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bushanic
Question-1
If I find signs of deer in the area now would it be likely to see them there later in the season? saw a lot of poo today in a 1.5 mile walk.
It is somewhat likely that deer sign you find now will be indicative of an area where deer will likely be next season. However, remember that deer and their patterns vary seasonally so you can't expect to find the exact same things next fall that you are finding now during winter scouting. I'd recommend also doing a little pre-season scouting next summer or perhaps even early fall to see what you come across then as the patterns may have changed.

Question-2

What if you find a line of them? not much of a line but 2 along a good trail. might need to look a little harder at this area to find more, is it worth that.
Part A of question-2 will a buck return to the same area(trail) or rub line next season?
It is still up for debate as to what exactly deer are telling one another when it comes to rubs. However, on thing is certain and that is that a rub on a tree indicates that a deer was there! Late season rubs often show that buck is coming back into his home range from the miles upon miles he has traveled during the rut. These late season rubs are like territorial markers with a buck letting the other deer he is back in the area. Early season rubs act much in the same way, but often a buck may move to a completely different region following the area where he made his first rubs.

Rub lines are good indicators of where a deer is traveling often. Also, make sure and check under rubs for scrapes and for licking branches on above trees. Scrapes can be very, very important to monitor as where a rub will begin to "fade" if a buck is frequenting an area you will likely be able to see where is freshening up his scrapes. Rub lines and scrape lines often go hand in hand. Again, seasonal scouting will help you determine whether a buck is in the same area. I'd highly recommend getting a trail camera, that's one of the best ways to scout if you have trouble getting in the woods to do so.

Question-3

funnels, funnels, funnels. Look areas that funnel between say a bedding area you discovered while scouting a food source. Funnels act as travel corridors and you can often catch the deer heading two and from particular locations in these funnels. Also, what is often forgotten by topo-users is that deer DO head to the top of hills and ridges to bed midday in many cases as the thermals are rising. They head to the top of ridges as they are more capable of detecting danger with their excellent sense of smell
Old 02-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

That tree means a big buck did it.

ORIGINAL: bushanic

Will with the season at an end I am starting to look foreword to next Oct open day. Now for some more hard work. Looking for scouting advice and topo help.My son and I went out today with an area I want tell look at.I do look at a place first with goggles earth to get a overhead view and then get GPS location to check out.

Question-1
Question-2
Question-3

Today we found these not to far back but I think someone else has been back there before I could just make out some marks on a few trees that could have been from a climbing stand.

Thanks for your advice.