Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Best Trail Cam Bang for the $$$ >

Best Trail Cam Bang for the $$$

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Trail Cam Bang for the $$$

Old 12-16-2008, 06:08 PM

Default RE: Best Trail Cam Bang for the $$$

when you go out looking for you trail camea rember the higher mega pixels the better camer
Old 12-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: npaden

It depends on what you are going to be using it for. If you are putting one over a bait source I would say the Stealth I590 for around $100 is the best bang for the buck right now. I seems to have a better sensor than the D40 does and takes higher quality pictures and records the temperature and moon phase on the photo all for about $10 more than the D40. If you want an all around camera that will also be useful on trails I would recommend the Scoutguard 550 at around $200.
Tell me more about the Scoutguard. I think I'm gettin one for Xmas. But don't tell anyone cause it's s upposed to be a secret. (grin)
Old 12-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Scoutguard about 6 weeks ago. Nice little camera (and I do mean little!)
Minuses: 1. Night pics are in black and white due to IR 2. IR range is less than some others (but you would need to spend $400 or more for them) 3. Strap that comes with the camera isn't really long, probably good for 20" trees or less
Pluses: 1. Size and Weight. So small and light you could pack it in with you in your pocket 2. Battery life, 6 weeks and over 3/4 battery life left, the majority of this was in 30 degree or less weather (with several nights being -0). 3. video mode, Again other cameras have this, but IMO not with this quality at this price. 4. Pictures, 5mp pictures are nice and clear.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cuddeback Capture
Old 12-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Spike

Thanks Handles,
That's the info I was lookin for.
I've got a Wildview and I've had a ball with it the last 2 years or so. But, I've got a few gripes as well. Mine is a flash model, and in order to get good night time pics, the camera has to be pretty close, or the dark swallows up the flash. The does and young bucks that see that flash, don't pay a whole lot of attention to it, but the older bucks tend to steer clear. And the battery runtime is not all that great, about 3 weeks at most.
I've just recently began to have a samll problem with the WV as it's only taking a few pics around a big PVC feeder that I know is getting a lot of traffic. WV claims it's because I'm using a larger SD card, but I've used the same cards for over a year now with no problem. Regardless, I've more than gotten my moneys' worth out of it just in entertainment alone.
Hopefully ol Santa will come through on the Scoutguard and I can really get to havin some fun. I'm in an area where there's not supposed to be any big cats. But I'd swear I saw 2 on opening day od gun season. I'd really like to get some hard proof.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

wildview extreme 4.0 at gmtn for like $79 great deal great pics for the price works good
Old 12-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing to notice when you get your scoutguard, put it lower on the fencepost, tree, ect than you would other cameras, they seem to be pre-focused up a little. If you notice the picture above, I set that camera at about 3-3 1/2 feet high as I would my other camera. You can see that there is a TON of picture above this buck, and nothing below his chest. While this photo looks good, some other deer that came into this scrape from the side and their head low I could only see their backs. Set it at about11/2 to 2feet and you should be good for almost everything.