Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

help me understand something?

Old 12-18-2008, 08:24 AM

Default help me understand something?

I hear a lot of people talking about shooting does for "herd control" and I totaly understand that concept.

But what about little small parcels of land, say 20 acres and less where there are not a lot of deer.

Every season I only see about 6 or 7 deer throughout the ENTIRE season on my land..mostly does, but several bucks throughout the season.. So compared to many farms around here I do not hold a lot of deer in my woods..

so should does still be taken for "herd control" in these situations? My thought is eliminating some of the does ofcourse leaves more food for the bucks. BUT what about the does having offspring and the offspring adding to the population around here?...wouldnt I want some does for that reason in my woods?

Or am I totaly misunderstanding the concept?

I have passed on two does this year so far after killing one. I am waiting for some antlers on my land for the rest of the season which our season goes from nov 15th til jan 3 (firearms season)
Old 12-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: help me understand something?

There are more does than bucks.

Taking does as a means of herd control is really more of a sex-ratio balance. In the wild, creating a 50/50 balance just isn't going to happen. As time goes by there will be a higher and higher female-to-male ratio.

IMO if you want a doe, go ahead and take on. I respect your views on your 20 acres but rest assured thatdeer move thru the property and increasingly so when hunting pressure steeps up. There is justa set opportunity based upon "X" amount of deer with an address there.

We start the season (bow) with most all consideration towards bedding areas/food on the farm. But once first firearms season gets going we areaiming our strageties and standsmostly around traffic moving thru.

Be safe & good hunting!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with Uncle Matt. Over time if all that is harvested is bucks your ratio gets way out of balance
Old 12-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting a doe on your property will not impact the herd more or less than if it were shot somewhere nearby.

I would wait until after the rut though, because the more does you can keep on your small piece of land during the rut, the better your chances for bucks.

After the rut, go ahead and shoot does if you like. Deer from the general vicinity will move back onto your property to make up for ones you shoot.