Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hang on stand or ladder stand?

Old 11-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hang on stand or ladder stand?

These are what I use:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=402505&pdesc=Gorilla_Inc_3_Steel _Climbing_Sticks_Set_Four&cname=Climbing-Sticks-Tree-Steps&aID=503H3&merchID=4006&r=view

The local Walmart has them for $11 for each section.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

how far can you get up with 4 of them?
also how much do gorilla hangons run for?
what is a good safety harness?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Space them 1½' apart..and start 1½' off the ground....equates to being 15/16' high. I use 5 sections most of the time...and my 20' bow hoist (tied to the platform)hangs off the ground about 2'. When I want to go higher I start out with a fewscrew-in steps and then use the sections. With that method I can easily reach 25'.

I haven't tried the Aluminum stands yet, but I have several of the regular "King Kong" stands that I bought for $80. Those come with the large seat and big platform. Spend $5 on a few feet of tube steal. Then measure, cut, and weld on arm rests and a foot rest....and you have the same thing as the "King Kong Lounger" for $60 cheaper.

Each safety harness system is different...and is personal. My buddy has a vest system that works great for him. I use one that came with one of my tree stands. I'm tall and thin...so in most cases the leg loops ride up and bother me...so I cut them off.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pat Curtis

Space them 1½' apart..and start 1½' off the ground....equates to being 15/16' high. I use 5 sections most of the time...and my 20' bow hoist (tied to the platform)hangs off the ground about 2'. When I want to go higher I start out with a fewscrew-in steps and then use the sections. With that method I can easily reach 25'.

I haven't tried the Aluminum stands yet, but I have several of the regular "King Kong" stands that I bought for $80. Those come with the large seat and big platform. Spend $5 on a few feet of tube steal. Then measure, cut, and weld on arm rests and a foot rest....and you have the same thing as the "King Kong Lounger" for $60 cheaper.

Each safety harness system is different...and is personal. My buddy has a vest system that works great for him. I use one that came with one of my tree stands. I'm tall and thin...so in most cases the leg loops ride up and bother me...so I cut them off.
one thing i have a problem with in my old standard ladder stand is i have nowhere to put anything. how can you put stuff up in your stand?.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own all hang on stands and like them, but have used ladder stands on some guided hunts:
- comfort: Ladder stand! But some hangons are pretty comfy
- ease of use/safety: ladder stand, at least once its up, easy in and out
- security (from being stolen): hang on, take the steps out when you go!
- portability: hang on, I can have mine up and hunting in under 10-15 minutes, lighter and easier to carry
- cost: hang on a bit cheaper, especially once you already have the steps.

If I had private land where I trusted the stand to still be there, and would leave it there for a couple years, I'd go ladder stand. On public land, where I take em out every year, hang on.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

ORIGINAL: Pat Curtis

one thing i have a problem with in my old standard ladder stand is i have nowhere to put anything. how can you put stuff up in your stand?.

Depends on what you're bringing. I carry a small backpack with all my calls, binoc's, scents,bottle of Gatorade,knife, extra gloves and socks, anda book.

I use one of those folding bow holders that screw into the tree. I hang my bow from that, and some even have little hooks that you can hang a few things on like the binoc's and whatever else. I hang my backpack on one of the screw in pegs that I use to get in and out of the stand. When I get it in the right spot, my bag hangs perfectly so the pocket with my calls is directly to my side...around eye level around the side of the tree when I'm sitting. It doesn't block much of my view at all.

I really love the tree's that have split off. That way you can be creative with where you hang stuff...so it's never in your way...but always within reach.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, my latest thing has been to add little hooks on the base of the arm rests. The last time I went out and shot my doe the other day I had my binoc's hanging from the arm rest. It was a field test to make sure when I stood up to shoot...and when I folded the seat up...that my binoc's didn't bang against anything. They sure didn't...double lunged her @ 20 yards.

Those hooks are just scrap metal that I bend...and then tack weld onto the arm rest.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

mt gorilla hang on is a very good tree stand i would use either a ladder. or hang on cause i hate climbers!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

arent climbers loud?