Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 hang on stand or ladder stand? >

hang on stand or ladder stand?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hang on stand or ladder stand?

Old 11-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Spike

Default RE: hang on stand or ladder stand?

Ladder stands always scare me when I'm putting up or taking down.
I'd say ladder for smaller trees but I don't like being out away from the trunk.
I feel more concealed leaning right against it.

Where the deer are and what type of timber options usually dictates what I use though.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

ORIGINAL: Canned Heat

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

arent hangons more mobile?
Slightly because of less components and weight, but you still have to dink around tearing both down and moving them to and fro. Setup time with a good ladder stand can be done in a fraction of the time it takes to get a lock-on situated in a tree.....stack your parts, place your pins, strap it, and go. Not as easy with the lock on.....hence my climbing sticks.
what kind of hang on do you have?
I use a Gorilla King Kong XL that I modified with a gun rail. I only use it for gun deer season...

I use River's Edge climbing sticks to get into this one. I also own an olderSummit climber and a River's Edge ladder stand, I believe a 17 footer..
Old 11-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have very few stands that aren't Gorilla's. I buy the same one posted above with the large seat and platform..and then weld on arm rests and extensions on the foot rests. VERY comfortable...and as easy to put up and take down as any stand I've ever messed with.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Fork Horn

Rivers Edge extreme ladder stands are great. I bought two last year and they work good, very comfortable and safe.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:13 AM

I used to build ladder stands from pressure treated lumber. I liked my design because the platform was large (about 3ft x 4 ft) and the ladders were made with dado cuts for the steps which removed any worry of a step breaking loose. They ranged from 12 to 14 feet high. A couple of times, I did manage to put them up by myself but wow, they were incredibly heavy! I wound up selling all of my wooden stands because I began to weld up my own ladder stands from 1 inch and 3/4 inch tube steel. My design has a platform which is roughly 2 ft x 3ft and includes a flip up seat. My stands are very similar to the Big Game Luxury Box stands but without all the extra frills. For what that stand costs, I can usually make at least two of my stands. Right now I have 6 of these stands. The design keeps getting progressively better with each one that I build. I'm sure the next one I make will have more improvements. At some point, I'm guessing I'll wind up with a design that is "near perfect" which will make me want to replace all the older ones.

For hanging a ladder stand, I greatly prefer to have someone help me. For one thing, raising the stand it 10x easier. Another thing I prefer to do is use a regular ladder to install the ratchet strap. I don't like to climb the ladder stand and sit on it while hooking up the ratchet. It's too wobbly. Once I at least get the ratchet hooked up a tightened a little, I can then climb the ladder stand with more confidence and tighten the ratchet even more if I need to.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Pat Curtis

I have very few stands that aren't Gorilla's. I buy the same one posted above with the large seat and platform..and then weld on arm rests and extensions on the foot rests. VERY comfortable...and as easy to put up and take down as any stand I've ever messed with.

Pat: I posted this in another forum and got no replys yet....You (or anyone) ever used the Gorilla Silverback Scout? I bought one a few days back and am trying to figure out how to make it "seat" into the tree on all 4 contact points. Been trying at ground level, so far it's been a pain in the but. Might be because Im used to climbers. Any input would be appreciated. Stand is very, very light...just need to master hanging it on the ground before I get up in the tree.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have that stand, but I did hear that they're very nice.

Getting all 4 braces against an evil tree can be a pain. Be it a knot in the tree...lumpy bark...or the tree is just crooked. You have a few options...these are my troubleshooting idea's:

*If you can get away with it, rotate the stand a few inches in either direction around the tree...just to see if you can get it seated properly.

*If you want it right where it is and it's only touching 3 braces, ratchet it down tight. On my Gorilla's you can lift the platform vertically...which will sink the stand down on the tree an inch or two. When you let the platform down sometimes that will set it against the tree better.

*My best technique is risky, but it works the best. Ratchet it down tight (I always use 2 ratchets since my buddy is a heavier guy). Climb into the stand (WEAR YOUR HARNESS THE ENTIRE TIME!!!!!!). Bounce your weight on the stand a few times..forcing the braces into the bark a little better.

I'm a huge fan of leaning back just a tad...so if the tree is straight (or to deal with evil tree's leaning forward) I add 14ga tube steal extensions on the bottom braces. I use a Sawz-All to cut the end of the tube steal so it grips the tree nicely. Then slide the tube steal (it's roughly 3" long..but if the tree is leaning forward I guestimate and use a longer tube) over the bottom braces on the stand. Weld the tube on (you can always cut the welds later to remove the extensions). Paint over the welds or it will rust in a matter of days.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

A few more tips I didn't mention:

I always try to get the rachets roughly at the length I'm going to need them. If the tree is fairly constant in diameter, wrap the ratchet around the tree from the ground. With a good guess...you can hook the ratchets up to the stand. So when you have the stand at the desired height...all you have to do is unhook 1 end of the ratchet from the stand...toss it around the tree..and catch it with your other hand. Hook it up, ratchet it down...and it's done! Having them wrapped up in your pocket can be a headache 25' in the tree...so make things easier before you get up there.

When I'm at the top of my ladder sections....I like to have the platform of the tree stand at the same height as the top step. When I'm on the top step, I screw in a hand peg aroung eye level...so I'm not hanging on the tree as I swing into the stand. I also like to have a screw in peg on the other side of the stand...so I'm holding on to 2 different screw in pegs...while I simply step off the top ladder section and into the stand.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Pat Curtis

I don't have that stand, but I did hear that they're very nice.

Getting all 4 braces against an evil tree can be a pain. Be it a knot in the tree...lumpy bark...or the tree is just crooked. You have a few options...these are my troubleshooting idea's:

*If you can get away with it, rotate the stand a few inches in either direction around the tree...just to see if you can get it seated properly.

*If you want it right where it is and it's only touching 3 braces, ratchet it down tight. On my Gorilla's you can lift the platform vertically...which will sink the stand down on the tree an inch or two. When you let the platform down sometimes that will set it against the tree better.

*My best technique is risky, but it works the best. Ratchet it down tight (I always use 2 ratchets since my buddy is a heavier guy). Climb into the stand (WEAR YOUR HARNESS THE ENTIRE TIME!!!!!!). Bounce your weight on the stand a few times..forcing the braces into the bark a little better.

I'm a huge fan of leaning back just a tad...so if the tree is straight (or to deal with evil tree's leaning forward) I add 14ga tube steal extensions on the bottom braces. I use a Sawz-All to cut the end of the tube steal so it grips the tree nicely. Then slide the tube steal (it's roughly 3" long..but if the tree is leaning forward I guestimate and use a longer tube) over the bottom braces on the stand. Weld the tube on (you can always cut the welds later to remove the extensions). Paint over the welds or it will rust in a matter of days.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the advice. I did get it to seat better when I rotated it a little to each side, it was just diffucult depending on the tree, and my strap isnt a rachet type, so I think Im going to get one or two of those to sure it up. Then I should be set. Might try to modify the bottom extensions a little also, sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-12-2008, 02:03 PM

One more thing, you ever use the climbing sticks? I just got some from Strongbuilt for $40...kind of cheap, and a little heavy, but they should work until I figure out if I like the whole set up. Any pro's/ con's or suggestions about the sticks?

Quick Reply: hang on stand or ladder stand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.