Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Turning a ladder stand into a hang on >

Turning a ladder stand into a hang on

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Turning a ladder stand into a hang on

Old 11-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Turning a ladder stand into a hang on

Is it possiable to turn a ladder stand into a hang on.
Since my ladder got stolen i have no use for the stand unless it can be a hang on. If you can what will that do to the weight limit
Old 11-14-2008, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Turning a ladder stand into a hang on

With a welder and an imagination, anything is possible. However I would not recommend it. I mean this is pretty much your life we are talking about here. Treestand companies put their products through testing to ensure us of our safety. All it takes is 1 minor fault that is easily overlooked to cause a serious injury.

I'm not trying to scare you or anything, I just dont want to see anything happen to a fellow hunter.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

The stress points on the metal were based around being up against a tree, and having a ladder hold it up. Without reinforcing it, personally I wouldn't feel safe.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

thats what i thought guys.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Strap it on a tree and see what it needs (ground level). For some reason people are not aware that you can add as many straps to a stand as you like.

I just took one down to use some places else. I really don't see how one could be used without the ladder. Things heavy anyways so getting it up in the tree would be a chore.

I'd be happy knowing I've got some spare parts for later and scrape the idea of using it as a lock on.

How'd you get just the ladder stolen?
Old 11-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pat Curtis

The stress points on the metal were based around being up against a tree, and having a ladder hold it up. Without reinforcing it, personally I wouldn't feel safe.
+1, and TIM you're a BIG GUY anyhow, I'm not sure that's such a GOOD IDEA by any means. In all honesty, I think you're safer to look for a ground blind, or just hunt from the ground. Unless it's a 2-PERSON ladder stand, I don't even feel comfortable in them, and I'm only a 240-ish guy.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well the stand was locked to the tree they tried looked like they attampted to pop the cable from the lock by sticking a stick between the tree and cable and pushing it out. It did not work. The ladder was not locked wish it was. They got the lower to sections
ORIGINAL: nodog

Strap it on a tree and see what it needs (ground level). For some reason people are not aware that you can add as many straps to a stand as you like.

I just took one down to use some places else. I really don't see how one could be used without the ladder. Things heavy anyways so getting it up in the tree would be a chore.

I'd be happy knowing I've got some spare parts for later and scrape the idea of using it as a lock on.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

Well the stand was locked to the tree they tried looked like they attampted to pop the cable from the lock by sticking a stick between the tree and cable and pushing it out. It did not work. The ladder was not locked wish it was. They got the lower to sections

Bummer. Who'd a thunk you'd need to secure every stinking piece. They sound like people who'd remove bolts. I'd say be thankful they took the ladder and you avoided a fall.

I know now, they were anti hunters. I'd look around for the ladder after the season's over asthey most likely ditched it. There's hope yet!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I found out who did it update to come and there hunters but more like some dam a** pothead hunters

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

Bummer. Who'd a thunk you'd need to secure every stinking piece. They sound like people who'd remove bolts. I'd say be thankful they took the ladder and you avoided a fall.

I know now, they were anti hunters. I'd look around for the ladder after the season's over asthey most likely ditched it. There's hope yet!