Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 hang on stand or ladder stand? >

hang on stand or ladder stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hang on stand or ladder stand?

Old 11-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default hang on stand or ladder stand?

what is better and what is the difference between a hang on and a ladder stand? what stand would work better on smaller crookeder and branchier trees?
Old 11-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hang on stand or ladder stand?

Crooked trees will favor a ladder stand...for obvious seating and angled placement issues.

Small trees will probably favor a ladder stand. More support for the tree, less swaying and less tipping.

Trees with alot of branches would favor a lock-on/hang stand, because nothing will interfere with the branches like the ladder would. That's what saws are for though. I use Gorilla lock-on for gun season..with climbing sticks. Summit climber for bow.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

The biggest difference I notice is hang ons seen very open and are a little hard to get used to. I actually was in a hang on beside my ladder stand today with my daughter in my ladder stand. I ended up standing almost the whole time.

Each is nice in a way but I prefer a ladder if I can.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:52 PM

For me, it depends on how high I wish to be and the areaI am hunting. If possibleI like to be at least 20ft up, if the.....better for scent and movement. I am hunting now out of a 12ft. ladder stand, because the areaI am hunting has too many young trees to try to see ansd shoot thru if I were higher.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

arent hangons more mobile?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

Slightly because of less components and weight, but you still have to dink around tearing both down and moving them to and fro. Setup time with a good ladder stand can be done in a fraction of the time it takes to get a lock-on situated in a tree.....stack your parts, place your pins, strap it, and go. Not as easy with the lock on.....hence my climbing sticks.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Dominant Buck

With the ever shrinking weight of ladder stands I'd be hard pressed to want to fuss with the risks of climbing a tree and dangling while hanging a hang on stand. I just bought a ladder stand that folds up and carries like a backpack, it's heavier than a hang on or climber, but unbeatable for safety and stability.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Canned Heat

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

Slightly because of less components and weight, but you still have to dink around tearing both down and moving them to and fro. Setup time with a good ladder stand can be done in a fraction of the time it takes to get a lock-on situated in a tree.....stack your parts, place your pins, strap it, and go. Not as easy with the lock on.....hence my climbing sticks.
what kind of hang on do you have?
Old 11-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

I use both, but feel I can hide better in a hang on stand. One exception is I stick my ladder stands in hemlock trees and you can really hide well in there. I just trim enough branches where the stand hits the tree and just enough over the top of me so I can stand when I need to.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:12 PM

i use both, but ladder stands seem the most comfortable. especially with the suspended seat.

Quick Reply: hang on stand or ladder stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.