Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I screwed up help please?

Old 11-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I screwed up help please?

dthunterinla:Well, I lost my first buck to buck fever this past weekend. Had a beautiful 8 point walk out about 100 yards away, and suddenly, it seems I lost the ability to shoot straight! I had him lined up, my heart was beating like trip hammer!! The scope was jumping everywhere, just a big mess. After the shot, I looked for 1 1/2 hours and found nothing. No blood, no hair, zilch. I need some advice guys and gals, what in the world can I do to calm down some so I can make the shot? This has never happened before, I've always been excited, but calm to make the shot. Maybe the fact it was the first 8 point I've ever seen? Advice?

same think happend to me but mine was a doe...when i was about to shoot i jerked up and over & amost pulled the trigger but i didnt than i got back on her put the crosshairs on her chest pulled the trigger gently and found no blood how do i cure this espesially on a doe last year i missed 5 times b4 i killed a deer while practising this year i was dead on how do i calm myself down when that big stud steps my way?
Old 11-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I screwed up help please?

forget the horns.... when you look throu the scope visualize a target where the vitals are
Old 11-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

also how do i not rush my shot i do that everytime amost
Old 11-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Get back to the basics, which means get into the steadiest shooting position you can, given the time. Steadying the rifle on a tree limb, or getting into a quick but steady kneeling position (sitting or prone are better) does wonders for the jitters. Deep breath, halfway out, hold, final line-up, squeeze.

I'll bet you took that shot from the standing position with no rest, right? Least steady of all positions.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best medicine for choking in any sport: practice, practice, practice until you become a robot. Develop a pre-shot routine that never changes and focus on carrying out each step. Your mind needs to be on what you must do and not on the deer.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure the deer is legal a then focus solely on making the shot. Take some deep breaths if you haveto come down, make yourself breath slow.

The deeris not going to just vanish all of sudden. Take your time an place a replaced shot. Remember deep breaths.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

My heart starts to race all the time when I see a potentional shot coming, I justclose my eyes for a second take a couple deep breaths and focus on the shot. Just before the shot you need to take a slow breath and hold ittill you pull the trigger...