Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Help I screwed up ! >

Help I screwed up !

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help I screwed up !

Old 11-18-2007, 09:13 PM

Default Help I screwed up !

Apparently I was not smart enough to clean the bore of my muzzle loader after last season . I have gotten it fairly clean now , but when I look through the bore in between the riflings , I can still see some residue that the patches are not getting to . Any ideas on a more thorough way to clean the bore , as in sprays or other cleaners . Am I over reacting ? I am using one of the T/c cleaning kits with patches , wire brush etc. Thank you
Old 11-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help I screwed up !

ORIGINAL: 7010r

Apparently I was not smart enough to clean the bore of my muzzle loader after last season . I have gotten it fairly clean now , but when I look through the bore in between the riflings , I can still see some residue that the patches are not getting to . Any ideas on a more thorough way to clean the bore , as in sprays or other cleaners . Am I over reacting ? I am using one of the T/c cleaning kits with patches , wire brush etc. Thank you
In my other guns (non M/L’s) sometimes I would wait to long after shooting to clean. I found out that if I did wait to long that the fouling was harder to remove after it set awhile then if I cleaned right after shooting.

What I would do is step out on to the front porch and fire one round through it and that would knock everything lose and cleaning would be a lot easier. But with black powder I guess it should work unless someone else tells you otherwise.

hope that helps
Old 11-18-2007, 11:34 PM

Bore brush with a good solvent? Could also be a small amount of pitting.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it is truely fouling that you are seeing, instead of rust or pitting, you might try some gel or foaming type cleaner and let that set in the bore per the instructions and see if that pulls it out. You might also try some JB's bore paste to see if that loosens it up and removes it. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Since we are talking about bores I hope I can ask this question here. After I am done shooting and I clean my bore out plus the breech I notice that it is hard to remove the breech plug. I make sure I put the ant seize lube on plug and the inside of the breech but still really likes to stick on my. In fact I could not get it off one day so I turned the gun up on it front (vertical) barrel and spray some amsoil metal protector hoping it would settle in to the threads and help free the friction. It worked but still a pin.

Is this normal?

Thanks
Old 11-19-2007, 08:43 AM

Maybe you are over-tightening the breech plug when you put it in. I think it is only necessary to tighten finger tight , then use the wrench to snug it up...say, 10-15# torque. Never had an issue doing it this way.

Mark
Old 11-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Don't mean to steal this thread, but relative to the stuck or sticking breechplug, When you are done shooting back the plug out about one turn while it is still hot and I think you will find removal later is a lot easier.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well a couple of thoughts for you, first clean the threads and mating surfaces well when you clean the barrel both the plug and the seat in the barrel, know that if you insist on tighting the plug with a wrench it will lock up they are made to be used finger tight, if you still have trouble with it wanting to lock up get a new breach plug that the threads have not been streached on break it in for the first year using nickle antisize and you should be alright as long as you get everything clean and greased and leave the wrench alone. Lee
Old 11-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

This is on an Omega and I can’t quite get my fingers in there to tighten so I have to use a deep socket with and extension to extend past the scope. I try and not tighten to much.

Nickel ant seize what is that? Been using the T/C stuff so far.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

Helped my dad with the same issue afew weeks ago. What I did was first use some of the that foam bore cleaner. Spray it in there and let it sit in there for 20 minutes or so. Then take some patches and run them through it. When your patches come out dry, put more of that cleaner in there only this time take a wire brush and run that through the barrel acoupe times. Repeat these steps as many times as needed and check the barrel after each cycle of steps. Only took three cycles of doing that for me to get my dads optima back in workin condition.

Quick Reply: Help I screwed up !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.