Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I screwed up

Old 09-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default I screwed up

Just want to share this with you all. Last night my 14 year old son asked me to go shoot the old 30-30 with him. I was on the way out the door with my new bow , in a hurry to get to the range to be sure it was sighted in for opening day-today!
What was my response? "We will go out next week when I have more time. I'm in a hurry tonight." Stupid! My son is into skateboarding, BMX, basketball, video games, and he wants to go deer hunting this fall for the first time ever. It hit me this morning that I may have blown a good opportunity to get him excited about hunting because of my own selfishness.
I got to thinking that this is the same thing that happened to my oldest son-hes 18-and now I cant seem to get him to care about hunting at all. I was so busy thinking about that big buck and how I didnt want a kid to ruin it for me. I love my family more than anyhting in the world. I coach softball, basketball, play football, help them with their homework, and work on their cars, but the one thing that I would love them to do almost more than anything is to develop a love for the outdoors and a respect for Gods creatures. I may have already lost the best hunting buddy I will ever have. Luckily my youngest daughter loves to hunt.
Anyway, dont let this happen to you. Make sure to take your kids with you whenever you can. Those bucks will always be there, the kids may not. It is too easy to lose them now a days.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:33 AM

Default RE: I screwed up

I hear ya. I got 3 more years until my oldest will be legal to bow and shotgun hunt and I plan on making myself available when the time comes. He's always interested when I am shooting in my yard and he assists with carrying my gear to and from the truck. He loves it when I come home with a deer. Awesome experiences.

That song 'Cats and the Craddle' comes to mind loud and clear. NEVER miss an opportunity to spend time with your children!
Old 09-15-2006, 09:57 AM

YEP you screwed up I hope you get that big buck. No I am just hacken on you I hope that you take your boy out shooting and either get him intrested in hunting and if he's not atleast show him whats more important buck or son? Good luck to ya.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

You are apologizing to the wrong audience..Talking works ..tell him you messed up and of course you'd rather spend the time with him.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been taking my step sons since they were old enough to walk. The oldest is the most interested, the youngest doesn't have the attention span and gets bored easily. But they have both been toting unloaded guns for years, with supervision about barrel positions, etc. The oldest, now 11, has been going with me turkey hunting since he was 6. Last year he saved half the money for a new Remington 870 20gauge and started turkey hunting with me. There's nothing better than having him asleep beside me when the suns coming up. Now he saving for his first bow.Don't loose these chances, make time for them before they realize they know everything and we don't know crap! Cherish them for someday they will be the best hunting partner you could ask for.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

I hope all goes well for you. It is real easy to take things for granted. At least you are wise enough to realize the situation and fix it. That thinking is missed by more then a few parents these days.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey brang05, it takes a REAL man to admit when he's made a mistake. Like one of the other guys said, let your son know you made an errorand ask if he'd like to go out with you. I'm sure he'll go with his dad!
Old 09-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

You are apologizing to the wrong audience..Talking works ..tell him you messed up and of course you'd rather spend the time with him.

EXACTLY
Old 09-15-2006, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

take him out tonight with plenty of ammo and let him shoot until he has had enough, tell him what you told us, he'll understand. I am just a year older
Old 09-15-2006, 02:44 PM

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Yes. Appologize to him. I have done that many times with my daughter after I had similar moments like you had. It means allot to them when big 'Ol dad, who is always giving the orders to say "I'm Sorry."

I have done just what you did in similar situations and I have found that comming back and saying sorry makes for a better time all together. I remember one instance when I was in a hurry to do somthing and blew her off. I felt bad about it, told her I was sorry and went with her the next day. It worked out better because instead if being with her and having my mind focused on something else, she had my undivided attention and I had hers.

Quick Reply: I screwed up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.