Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I think I screwed up...... >

I think I screwed up......

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I think I screwed up......

Old 06-12-2004, 11:40 PM

Default I think I screwed up......

they say Hind sight is always 20-20, and I have to agree... My mistake happened in the beginning of 2000, when I decided I needed a new rifle. Being married for only about 6 months, I needed to come up with a reason why. That was pretty easy, ,cuz at the time I only had a 243 and wanted to hutn elk while stationed at Ft Lewis. I decided on my beloved ruger 77 all weather in 300 win, and have been very happy with it, as any of you have seen my post know.. the problem is I used the arguement that it is almost the perfect all around rifle... which imho it is. However looking back I had the chance to keep on buying rifles.. I could of decided on like a 270 for deer, 338 for elk, and so on. The only arguements I have for new rifles right now are a 223 so she can start shooting centerfire. I have also started on a arguemnt for a 375, for my dream bear hunt, but that is a work in progress. I have succeeded on arguements for my Blackhawk 44, and for my new shotgun that ill buy as soon as I get out of this country in 29 days... But I have kinda a thing for rifles. I am pretty lucky though, the woman I married came from a non hunting family but loves everythign involved with hunting, except the killing. All I need to do is come up with reasons for more rifles...... beleivable reasons that will get me new rifles!!!!
Old 06-13-2004, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I think I screwed up......

The best thing to do is get her interested, and then get her her own gun(s) to take to the range with you. That's what I've done with my wife (who like yours had never even seen a real gun other than one in a police officers duty belt) and she's definately hooked. She officially comandeered my Ruger 10/22, our Ruger M77VT .22-250 was bought with the intent of it being her gun because she wanted something that would shoot farther than 50 yards accurately. Now she wants a Browning Buckmark .22LR pistol to learn how to shoot pistols, followed by a Glock 17 9mm when she gets comfortable with the Buckmark. Anymore I hardly ever get to shoot the rifle I saved for months to buy! For every 100 rounds I load up for the 22-250, I get to shoot maybe 5-10 of them, but at least she lets me go the the range as long as she can come too. I guess I can't complain.

She recently authorized my purchase of my Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull for deer hunting next year, and has been bugging me recently about teaching her to load and shoot one of my muzzleloaders so she can go deer hunting too. Unfortunately I think that she's going to have to put off hunting next season, as come the end of December to the beginning of January she'll be 7 1/2 to 8 months pregnant and probably won't be too into stomping around in the woods for 10-12 hours a day. And that's my secret...the only way I get to shoot my guns is if I buy guns that she doesn't want to shoot. She fired my SRH once with a .45 Colt cowboy load and decided she didn't like it, so it officially became MY gun at that point.

I think the sure-fire best bet is to remind her that shooting and range trips are a good way to get out and spend "quality time" together. If you can convince her that you need to get a new gun so you can spend more time with her, she'll let you get whatever you want and you've got it made!

Good luck,

Mike
Old 06-13-2004, 01:27 AM

Thats alrwady been my plan.. I have lost my 22 to her, and she is part of the reason we are getting a 223. Its a lil hard for her to get to involved, cuz we have this problem that we keep having kids...LOL As soon as my oldest sn is old enough he'll be out there tho!!!
Old 06-13-2004, 03:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Keeping her interested in firearms is always the best idea.

However, if that does not work you could always go into her purse and get your gonads back and buy the rifle that you want. Provided the family has the extra money to spair. As much as I like guns of all kinds I don't want to go hungry for them. If yall got the money then buy what you want. You do work for it don't you?
Old 06-13-2004, 05:23 AM

A tactic I have used in the past is to tell my wife what an UNBELIEVABLE deal I got on the gun. The gun lists for X dollars and I got it for Y dollars. It plays on her love of shopping and getting good deals.

Coming home in about a month? Awesome! I spent a lonely year in ROK myself, so I know your excitement.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:20 AM

With us its really just am matter of budget. Being Military we don't live like kings but we dont struggle either. It is more of a priority thing, and she just doesnt want me buying a gun that is an impulse. She wants to know that it fills a need (real or imaginary for me...LOL) and that it won't be a shoot once, and then put it in the back of the closet. I guess you could say she is really more of a common sense filter than anything else. she doesnt let me buy on impulse.. LOL.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:29 AM

Buy your dream gun "For Her" and simply "Borrow it" when youneed to use it. It goes like "Honey, I need to borrow that new .460 weatherby i bought you last year for a week or so. Is that all right sweety? I love you." Works every time!
Old 06-13-2004, 02:20 PM

My spouse of 40 years has no interest in guns and only passing interest in hunting. She has, however, a husband, 2 sons and 1 of 2 daughters who have a passion for both hunting and guns. So she has grown quite used to the whole idea. Being somewhat pragmatic, I never buy a gun on impulse so when I decide I need/want another gun I start to plant the seed by first just mentioning it and generally talking about it with the offspring. The reaction from wife is always; "you don't need another gun". To which I always agree; "you're right I don't need another gun, but it would be nice to finally get this new Winrugrem in .395 cal. (or whatever) that I've always wanted, anyways we'll see, there's no hurry anyways". Then I drop it for several days and then mention it again. This might continue for a couple of months. By the time I'm ready to make the purchase she has either consciously or unconsciously pretty well accepted the idea and there is no problem. On the other hand I don't deny her things that she likes/wants such as Dalton figurines or a piece of jewelery or new drapes for the living room all of which I really think are a complete waste of money. gg

Here's my most recent.

Old 06-16-2004, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just tell her that man and guns go together like a woman and shoes. When my wife ask me why I need another gun, I just tell her why does she need 20 pair of brown sandals?
I work for my paycheck and if all the bills are paid and the freezer is full and I see a gun I want, I just buy it.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:47 PM

The key here is selective breeding(not you an the wife, but the guns). You see if you leave the 300 in the closet alone w/ the 22 theyll breed and before long when you check that gun cabinet it'll suddenly appear... a great little 6mm, or if it takes after its mother your sure to get that little 223, maybe if it takes more after papa it'll be a 7mag or 25-06. Be sure to keep the blood lines seperate by purchaseing an occasional new gun which will ultimately breed w/ one of the descendants from your trusty ol' 300 and 22 there by giving you a whole new line of guns to reproduce in the privacy of the gun cabinet. These guns that are brought in should ALWAYS!! be of a caliber suitable for the wife (6mm, 243, 7mm-08, 250savage, 260rem, 257roberts, also she would like a short riflerem model 7,600,660. (I grew up w/ a 6mm rem model 600 and let the wife shoot it, I didnt get to use that thing for about 7years). The first few rifles are tough, because she knows how many you have, the quicker you get your rifles to breed the better. At a certain point she will lose track of wich are new and which are part of the family, at this point they will breed like rabits. Then it's all target practice and huntin from there.

Quick Reply: I think I screwed up......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.