Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

?'s about scope mounting

Old 10-30-2008, 08:49 PM

Default ?'s about scope mounting

Okay, here's my situation. Just bought a new Tikka T3 and I want to put a scope from a different rifle I own on the new rifle. The Tikka appears to have rails built in and it comes with the rings already on the rail. They feel plastic and cheap to me which doesn't surprise me at all but I'm wondering if they will do the job for atleast one year.

Also, I tried to take the scope off of my other rifle which I did not mount myself and the screws don't appear to want to come loose with an allen wrench. The wrench fits but when I examine the screw heads closely they appear to be more circular rather than the shape of an allen wrench. So the question is, what other type of wrenches could it use?

And the most important question, if I've never done this before should I even attempt putting the scope on myself or just take it somewhere and pay for it? I know the rings on my other rifle are good and I've never had any problems with them so I'd like to maybe switch them over to the new rifle if possible.

Starting to convince myself that I need to take it somewhere, but I kind of want to learn it myself. Any suggestions?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: ?'s about scope mounting

well if your heads are rounded out, stop trying to use the wrench to take it off, you'll just make it worse. if they are rounded out, go hve someone do it for you. Otherwise you might just complicate things more.
-Jake
Old 10-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Banned

Get the Talley 2 piece rings and bases. They are the best.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:01 PM

vabyrd, if I remember correctly you just got a Tikka yourself right? If so, is this the route you went with the Tally 2 piece rings and bases?
Old 10-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Wall_Hanger

Okay, here's my situation. Just bought a new Tikka T3 and I want to put a scope from a different rifle I own on the new rifle. The Tikka appears to have rails built in and it comes with the rings already on the rail. They feel plastic and cheap to me which doesn't surprise me at all but I'm wondering if they will do the job for atleast one year.

Also, I tried to take the scope off of my other rifle which I did not mount myself and the screws don't appear to want to come loose with an allen wrench. The wrench fits but when I examine the screw heads closely they appear to be more circular rather than the shape of an allen wrench. So the question is, what other type of wrenches could it use?

And the most important question, if I've never done this before should I even attempt putting the scope on myself or just take it somewhere and pay for it? I know the rings on my other rifle are good and I've never had any problems with them so I'd like to maybe switch them over to the new rifle if possible.

Starting to convince myself that I need to take it somewhere, but I kind of want to learn it myself. Any suggestions?
Take it to a gunsmith.
He/She will have the propper tools.
JMHO
Old 10-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Fork Horn

Probably not a good idea on a scope but for future reference, if you ever have an allen wrench bolt that the head is stripped and it's standard measurement, grab the next size up in metric and tap it into the bolt with a hammer or a driver of some sort. The wrench should make it's own new hole. If it's metric take the next step up in standard. The vibration and everyithing probably wouldn't be good for the scope, but just for future reference.

If the head of the bolt sticks out a little bit get a pair of vise grips and latch onto it and get it turning even if you can only get it turning with small turns. After a little bit you should be able to use the allen wrench again. The bolts on my scope stick up just slightly. Obviously, I don't know about yours.

Also, when you're done, it should go with out saying but, get new bolts that aren't stripped.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:43 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Wall_Hanger

vabyrd, if I remember correctly you just got a Tikka yourself right? If so, is this the route you went with the Tally 2 piece rings and bases?
Those are the ones. I tried to get a picture of the gun, but I couldnt get it to upload. I tried the integrated one piece model that they have, but the edge of the base hung over the dovetail, didnt like it. Talleys are the best by far. Go to their website and you'll see. These guys go above and beyond when it comes to customer service. Top notch.