Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 scope mounting >

scope mounting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scope mounting

Old 06-21-2004, 01:19 PM

Default scope mounting

I am trying mount a scope on a Remington Model 660 rifle and part of the scope hits the base. This is a Weaver base and rings. Any ideas on what to do?
Old 06-21-2004, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: scope mounting

You will just have to find a higher based pair of rings! The lower the scope is mounted, the better off you will be, but with larger diameter scopes, you have to use higher rings! Good luck!
Old 06-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use them see through scope rings i think there all weaver rings but there made so you can use your iron sights too i have them on all my guns and it raises the scope high enough to clear most everything unless you have some monster scope for shooting 3 miles away but i have them on all my guns from 30-06 to 30-30 to the 50cal. one of my guns has a big ol scope on it and you can just barely use the iron sights but i had to have those rings to raise the scope up high enough to clear the barrel/reciever and i have never had a problem with them and i can sometimes be a little clumbsy(trip and fall stuff like that) and the rings have yet to have a problem so give them a shot they may be what your looking for
Old 06-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

YOU MIGHT HAVE TO GET A DIFFERENT TYPE OF BASES THAT ACCOMODATES A SHORTER LENGTH SCOPE. A LOT OF NEWER SCOPES ARE TOO SHORT FOR STANDARD BASES AND RINGS. sOME BASES "FLARE" TOWARD THE MAGAZINE TO ACCOMODATE THESE SHORTER SCOPES.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

If your scope is a 50 or a 56mm you just probably need the tall mounts. With the see-thru you probably won't be able to see the iron sights anyway. Mine is a 56 and even with the tall mounts and it barely clears the barrel.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just a word of warning.The see thru mounts are not nearly as sturdy as standard mounts and raise the scope too high for proper cheek position on the stock.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:18 AM

Go to the "Weaver" website ands they have all the info. you need for any model gun and the mounts and rings to fit it. They make and sell scope rings and mounts. All you need to know is the size scope you have and the type of gun you have. You can even call them and order direct and save some money. They helped me with a similar problem last year and were a great help, very poilite & fast service. Good luck.