Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Advice for all day hunt

Old 10-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Advice for all day hunt

ORIGINAL: early in

It would seem that if you want to sit all day, you believe you might see a deer at any time throughout the day, right? So, why would you take your attention fromtrying to see deer, by reading, texting, or game playing? I don't get it.
Most of the days when I'll be hunting all day will be during the rut phases. These deer are on the move at any given time. I just keep reminding myself, my shooter could be the next deer I see. Having belief in your stand location isBIG for self confidence/alertness as well.
100% True!!! I'm in full agreement. Also, take in the fresh air, the scenery, kick back, relax, reflect and most importantly, enjoy the great outdoors and what it has to offer. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

I second that!!.. just today me and my step son(13) was out for an early morning bow hunt.. planned to follow it up with afternoone squirrel hunting.. well..i was in my stand.. he was in a blind within site.. as 11 am approached.. i notice him waveing at me from the blind ( he is new to hunting.. so i set up near him to kinda keep an eye on him) he was bored.. squirrels was thick.. and wanted to trade the bow in for the gun.. I was a bit bored myself.. so i agreed and no more got my climber down.. he says A DEER!! lol it was.. key word there was.. heading straight to where we was set up lol 10 more minutes and he would have gotten a nice doe.. moral of that story is i was reminded..patience and that any moment the deer will appear... and he got a crash course in the waiting game
Old 10-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

I dont get many days in the woods to hunt so I hunt all day to maximize my efforts. You have already started with the first key ingrediant, a comfy stand, cant stay on stand all day if you're uncomfortable. My summitt Razor allows me to sit all day long, love the seat. Second thing is enough food to withstand the long stay, and Im not talking about mt dew and potato chips, get you something to drink that wont make you drowsy, like water or crystal light, lemonade, etc and eat a good trail mix (I make my own cause I dont like raisins) and good granola bars. I like to take a sandwich or two out as well to really fill me up. Obviously weather has not played a factor into you getting down but prepare for that too, you're not moving much and not generating body heat so you need to stay warm when its cold. And last, get it ingrained in your head that you're going to sit all day. Its a mental thing, I keep telling myself the one key factor that is commonly true, you cant kill a deer sitting on the couch in the cabin/house. While others are going to the truck for lunch or a nap, Im on stand while the deer move or being pushed my way by other hunters leaving the woods. Take in the sights, use your binos to spot deer way off in the distance, count the number of does seen to the number of bucks. Easier said than done but you have to believe that sitting there is the right thing to do, its hard to do, but it can be done.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your not seeing anything and the weather isn't in your favor, It's tough sitting all day. Unless it's opening day of gun season or the deer are moving, I usually take an hour break sometime during the day, just to go grab some lunch or a coffee. I really don't enjoy reading that much in a stand, but Sodoku is one of my favorite things. Its quiet and doesn't involve much moving so you can hear everything around you. I usually hear a lot of deer before I see them so silence is the key for me.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot to add this. I also havea radio on me to Co-ordinate when people are going in and to see if anyone needs help tracking/dragging after a shot. During the morning I'll put the radio on scan and listen to the people hunting on properties within a few miles. There are two older gentleman that I have never met before or probably ever seen before, but I listen to every year. They are like the guys from "Grumpy Old Men" I think they hunt about 500 yards apart and literally make fun of each other all morning through the radio. One of those many small things I enjoy about opening day of deer season that keep me occupied.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 AM

I tend to bring reading material with me. Usually magazines. I'll read a paragraph, look up, read some more, look up. And so forth. However, I should caveat by saying that I too have a lot of trouble sitting all day. I almost always take a break around lunchtime. Most often, I'll get out of the stand and go get something to eat. Usually at the local diner or just back to my truck if I bring something. Sometimes I take a quick nap. Many times when I head back out, I'll try a different stand just to have a new patch of woods to look at. Following this procedure, I'm able to hunt from sun-up to sun down. My midday break is rarely over 2 hours. Obviously I risk not seeing something in that short span. My opinion is, so what? I'd much rather ENJOY hunting than EN DOUR it.

I have sat in one spot all day long though on a couple of occasions. One time was in a blind. I had food, reading material, and a very comfortable chair. I let an arrow fly at a large doe that afternoon but missed rather badly. I should mention that I fell asleep around 10am and slept for about 2 hours!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

There maybe a lot of advice to help stay on stand all day but if you're not cut out to actually do it, you probably won't.
It's difficult staying 20 feet above the ground for 11-12 hrs, especially if the weather in uncooperative.

My suggestion is to move if you feel you must. Why continue to do something, that to you, is not fun?
Hunting is supposed to be fun. Stay on stand for as long as you feel comfortabe. After that, get down, check for sign, still hunt, have lunch, whatever your little heart desires.
Maybe later in the day you'll decide to hunt from that stand, maybe not. No big deal do whatever you think is best.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shawnfogelman

ORIGINAL: early in

It would seem that if you want to sit all day, you believe you might see a deer at any time throughout the day, right? So, why would you take your attention fromtrying to see deer, by reading, texting, or game playing? I don't get it.
Most of the days when I'll be hunting all day will be during the rut phases. These deer are on the move at any given time. I just keep reminding myself, my shooter could be the next deer I see. Having belief in your stand location isBIG for self confidence/alertness as well.
100% True!!! I'm in full agreement. Also, take in the fresh air, the scenery, kick back, relax, reflect and most importantly, enjoy the great outdoors and what it has to offer. Good luck!
hey u live i ncincinnati i do to but actually to the north of Butler county near hamilton
Old 10-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why do you have to stay in your tree stand all day long? I drive out to the deer hunting ground early, hunt the morning, go back to the house (about 20 miles away), return for the afternoon hunt, and then go back to the house. If I didn't want to waste gas, I think I would return to my truck and sleep about four hours in the middle part of the day. If you don't want to leave your stand area, I would climb down out of the stand and sleep on the ground. I think this makes a lot of sense unless you think the middle part of the day is a time the deer will be moving. It could happen, but in my experience deer bed down and move around precious little in the middle of the day. If bucks are in the rut that could be an exception -- I guess it depends on how your season falls.