Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Advice for all day hunt

Old 10-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Advice for all day hunt

ORIGINAL: early in

It would seem that if you want to sit all day, you believe you might see a deer at any time throughout the day, right? So, why would you take your attention fromtrying to see deer, by reading, texting, or game playing? I don't get it.
Most of the days when I'll be hunting all day will be during the rut phases. These deer are on the move at any given time. I just keep reminding myself, my shooter could be the next deer I see. Having belief in your stand location isBIG for self confidence/alertness as well.
Took the words right out of my mouth!I love to hunt all day.I don't get to bored on stand.I watch the squrriels and the birds when im not seeing deer.My luck would be me reading or doing something else and a once in a life time buck come cruising on by and rightonby he would go!
Old 10-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bring a few aplles to eat, some water, a book, and comfortable clothes.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sat in stand for 6 hours the other day. I thought I was about to lose my mind after about 4 hours. There were no squirrels, no birds, no wind, nothing. It was just dead out there. Needless to say I didn't see any deer either. And the solunar table said it was supposed to be a great day, HA! Well, any time above ground ain't bad, but it sure does make for a long day if you don't see anything.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

I was the same way as you, I would be good for about 3-4 hours, till one day I decided to climb down with my climber and I lowerd my bow and I got about half way down and low and behold here comes Mr. buck, about a 130 8 point, came right in on me at 15 yards, I was busted and no bow in hand. now when I think about getting down, I think back to that day and tell my self if I start to get down thats when he will come. I then take a good strech, get a drink, load a chew, and finish out the day. Tahts what works for me.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only sit all day if I have a good suspicion something is going to happen. Like the rut, good buck you know is in the area. If nothing is moving, bad weather, I prefer not to sit all day. IF you are seeing animals, great scenery different story. When I am seeing several bucks in a day I could sit for days or at least I think I could. It really changes things.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Ive done the all day thing a few times. It is definetly hard. Its even harder on the ass that nite.

couple year ago, I bought a handheld yatzee game at walmart. I can turn off the sound and you can hit the roll button and look around, make your choices (hold, roll, score), hit roll again, look around, etc. Its also small so if something comes in, you can shove it in a shirt or pants pocket pretty quickly. I usually play a game and put it up for while. maybe once an hour. a game can take up 10-15 minutes. If you stop for so long, it goes to sleep but you dont loose your game.

ive tried books, but im not much of a reader and reading puts me to sleep. I also try to use the little sounds of grass or leaves moving as a mind game that somethings coming.

I too have wondered how other guys do it. Even those on tv. I wonder if they truly 'hunt all day' like they claim or are the up and down all day.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Banned

Get out of your stand, get snuggled in on the ground and take a nap. I cant tell you how many times a deer woke me up. Makes the evening hunt better.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Fork Horn

I like the nap idea. I think I'll try it by bringing along a ground blind and using it to take a break and not have to stroll in and out of the woods making my presence known.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Banned

I just get down below my stand. Never nap in your stand, unfortunately that's when a lot of guys get hurt. I'll tell you, just a little rest and breathing clean air can do a lot for a man. I dont even bother with a blind, just kick out spot and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Sometimes its the little things that make a trip a success..
Old 10-04-2008, 06:44 AM

I rarely hunt all day, because deer are most active (even during peak breeding) within 1-3 hours of sunrise and sunset. And because I pattern most of the bucks I hunt, I hunt near their daytime core areas, which is where they are most active during daylight hours. So, I hunt when they are coming (morning) and going (evening) from their core areas - along their rub route.

There is no sense hunting a particular buckall day long along their rub route (near their core area), because they generally travel it only in the evening and morning.You might want to learn to pattern a particular deer.

I guess if you don't know where the deer bed (their daytime core areas), or where their travel route (rub route) is, and if you are after ANY deer, instead of a particular deer, then you might want to hunt all day. But, I'd rather hunt one articular deer, in the best spot I can.

Quick Reply: Advice for all day hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.