Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Advice for all day hunt

Old 10-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Advice for all day hunt

you could take a crossword with you or suduku or something. when i start to go stir crazy i willstand up pull back on my bow look at differnt shots or with my gun shoulder it and look at the shooting lanes. the best thing i do to pass time is eat sunflower seeds. youll be suprised what that can do for ya. its not gonna scare the deer as far as scent i shot two deer last year with seeds in my mouth so i dont think it will be a bad idea. i think if anything it would give of a salty scent. good luck. if all else fails go to sleep its still better than being at home with you know who
Old 10-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Spike

I can usually sit for the most part of a morning before I start doing the funky chicken(that's when my head starts bobbin and weavin from falling asleap).Best thing I can do then is stand and stretch and I think of an article I read about persaverence:just give it another half hour,then another and another,IT PAYS OFF.Cource there's the time I snored in an eight pointer,but that's another story.Hang in there
Old 10-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't really do hardly anything in the stand waiting, don't know how I do it, but when it's time to go, it's just time to go. Usually, we'll take a break and go into town for lunch, we might do it late morning, say 10:00 or 11:00AM if it's not the rut, and if the weather's bad, most times we wait 'till 12:00 noon.

We just figure we want to use our best judgement. Hunting is for the hunters, not the hunters for the hunting. It's supposed to be enjoyable, because when it becomes an obsession that makes you hurt yourself or do irrational things, it's not good, period.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

books, puzzles, i don't know if you even have one or anything but i've got a friend wo takes one of those game boy things, he says it is pretty good at chewing up time. and even if you have an hour when you know the deer are not gonna show up take a short nap
Old 10-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

"if all else fails go to sleep its still better than being at home with you know who"

Close to one of my favorite lines of all time: Still beats sittin' home gettin' b*tched at....

I know a ton of guys who actually read books in their stands...if anything would get me sleepy...it's reading a book in the fresh air.Itry to pretend I'm an owl or a hawk and see if I can catch anything moving....mice, squirrels, whatever..It's amazing the stuff I've seen over the years. Sounds goofy, but works for me.In gun deerseason, I try to count the number of shots I hear in an hour's time also.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know it sounds lame, but I just gut it out. In my youth, I could do it day after day, not any more. I pick my spots now, and do it when all the signs dictate it.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Spike

Bring your smartphone & read hunting message boards ;-)
Old 10-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

On the first few days of hunting I try to observe everything meaning everything I see and hear. I "memorize" the lay of the land from my stand...bushes, trees, saplings etc...so when I see something out of place I hone in on it easier. We don't always have snow on the ground here in NY so making notes of your surroundings is a good idea. I also try to listen real good to the sounds around me. Ever noticenow and then you get that beech sapling that refuses to give up those last few leaves and from 20-30 yards away can sometimes sound like a deer making its way to you? I sit as quiet as possible to get my ears in "hunting mode". Maybe it's just me but it seems like after a few days in the stand my senses get sharper and I can seeand hear a whole lot better than normal. So my advice is just sit, look and listen. Memorize your points of view and keep a sharp eye cause you never know what is trying to sneek thru...especially after they smarten up after getting shot at.

Mack
Old 10-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

take on tracking. youll never have to worry again about being bored i garentee ya! its an all day adventure and you always find more pockets of deer then you realized were around. of course you have to have the room to track.by that i mean big woods,vast wilderness.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sitting all day is NOT easy! A lot of hunters talk about huntingall day, but few really do. It really is nothing more than a mind game. Some can play, and most can't. Determination plays a BIG role in winning the game.
I think that most guys who can/do sit all day, are hunting the rut. At least for the most part. This being said,the hunter must be convinced that his big buck can come along at ANY TIME. That's the truth too! Also, having belief in your stand location is importantin your mental outlook.
I have found that breaking up your day's hunt intothree segments ofthree hours each,for example, makes it not seemas long a period of time as it really is.After each 3 hours, you get up and stretch, take a leak, or whatever. This helps me deal with the all day sit.

Quick Reply: Advice for all day hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.